• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Tube making factory

P

Pannieoval

Hi

I wondered if anyone could tell me where a Tube making factory in which my ggrandfather was a foreman might have been. He lived with his family in Ridding Lane, Wednesbury and one son was an engine fitter's apprentice. He had at one time been at sea and his father Managed a tube making factory in Govan, Glasgow at the same time.

His name was John Eccles, father's also John Eccles and son John William Eccles, who later worked as a foreman in a tube mill in Ettingshall, Wolverhampton. :wave:

Hi. Pannie, if you look on the link below you will be able to see a Boiler Tube Works just above the name. There is another Iron Tube works further north and you will be able to see it by clicking in that direction until you get there. The map is about 1890ish. There may be other tube works in that area too. Follow the canal up the page.

https://www.british-history.ac.uk/m...id=8318&ox=1846&oy=2349&zm=1&czm=1&x=65&y=205

If you have Google Earth, by typing 'Ettingshall wolverhampton uk' in the box it will take you to this exact modern day spot with a high deffinition aerial photo. for comparrison.

Best Wishes.

Hi Rupert

many thanks for that - I can see that I shall spend a happy hour searching this site that I had not stumbled on before.

now I have retired I shall get more time - the beauty of the net is that someone as far away as you can point me in the right direction!

cheers

Hi Pannie. Back in the ,60s, I used to work for a tube manufacturer. It was Tubes Ltd, in Rocky Lane, Aston. I spent over 6 years in the Production Control Dept, then another 6+ years in the Forging Dept. The point being, Tubes Ltd had a couple of other plants. The only ones I can recall where, T.I.Desford, based in Leicestershire, and T.I.Accles & Pollock, located in Wednesfield. Maybe this is the factory you are looking for. ( The T.I. by the way stands for Tube Investments ). Hope this has helped. Barry.

Hi BazzM

Many thanks for more information - it all fills in the gaps. Apparently my grandfather was fired in about 1929 because as a foreman he refused to fire a chap who had only months to go to retirement and so was told he had better go! He subsequently worked for Omnia Seals like 2 of my uncles.

Pannie:wave:

There was a tube factory around Aston in Birmingham that was still there in 1979, maybe it still is. I think it was called Tubes.

The tube factory in Aston was T.I. (Tube Investments)

The tube factory in Rocky Lane, Aston, was Tubes Ltd. Part of the T.I.Group. I know because I worked there for over 12 years. Barry.

tubes ltd rocky lane

Yes What Bazzm As Stated It Is All True,
Because We Both Worked And Slaved Like Trojans For That Company
At The Same Time During The Same Period Of Service
And I Would Go To The Extent To Say It Was The Best Job I Ever Had
Whilst In My Younger Days Of My Life, I Don,t Know What My Good Friend Bazz Would Say For Him self But In My Case , Yes,
Then I Moved Into The Licence Trade Me And My Old Dutchess ,
We Have Run Clubs And Pubs Around Brum And The Midlands For Thirty Years Or More But Now We Are Out To Pasture , Just Like Horses ,
Best Wishes To Each And Every One Of You .;;;;; Astonian ,;;;

Astonian my old mate. Yes I will certainly agree with you. The days at Tubes Ltd. where among the best Ive ever worked. Hope you and yours are all fit and well. Sorry for going off track, to anyone else reading. Barry.

Just come across this dated 11/59. The feint line on the white page is the tube.

There was a tube making factory at the bottom of Mucklows Hill,it belonged to the T.I Group.It's was were Wickes is now.

Below are all the Walsall manufacturer references to tubes in Kellys in1904. Some are duplicates

Gill & Russell, tube manufacturers, Cyclopa tubeworks,Pleck road. TN 255 ; TA "Tubes"

Hildick & Hildick, manufacturers of welded wrought iron tubes & fittings for gas, steam & water, Pleck road.Telephone No. 14 Walsall

Lambert Brothers, tube manufacturers, Ablewell street

Russell Bros. tube mfrs. Bradford tube works, Pleck

Russell John & Co. Lim. tube manufacturers,Alma tube works; iron manufacturers, Cyclops iron morks & Newside iron works, Pleck & iron masters, Birchill's furnaces, Green lane

Stanton Wm. saddlers' & harness makers' iron & metal worker (Specialite, leaping heads), winker & pad plates, knee cap, rein holder & rosette springs, whip sockets, singeing lamps, cattle tubes, pilch irons etc, .38 Wisemore
mike

Thanks mike, My grandfather is listed as tube factory worker on the 1901 walsall census. Seems that there were quite a few.

Back