• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Traditional Christmas

Alberta

Super Moderator
Staff member
(Posted here because I am unsure where it fits in)

I had promised myself not to mention Christmas until November but here goes.

To combat the sadness I feel inside with what has happened in our lives this year I have decided to 'throw myself' into christmas,not any Christmas but a traditional one with all the family here.

For me Christmas is sights,taste and smell.

Sights for me this year.
Green,red and gold,no glossy silver wrapping paper here.
No upside down black christmas tree (all the rage apparently)

Taste, -Dates and Steves favourite sugar mice

Smell , something orange and spicy.

Please let it snow,just on christmas day.

Any more ideas?

Sounds lovel, dress a dressmakers dummy up as Father Christmas and put him somewhere where all can see and enjoy him. Spicey oranges go and buy some whole cloves and oranges make holes with a pin then stick in the cloves what a delightfull smell and they look so good too, I have had one for 10 years in a china cabinet open the doors and wow its still strong.

I remember Carol Singers coming round years ago, you don't get them anymore. Although you would probably be weary of opening the door these days.
I can't wait until I can put White Christmas on "Again" this year its my favorite Christmas film.

I am with Alberta all the way.

But thank you no 'White Christmas' or 'Perry Como' carols please.

I remember hanging the paper chains across the room and those decorations that are like fans that you open up and hang in the window or somewhere.
Not fashionable but was traditional. Good luck with your decor. Mo

We used to go to Woolies in Newtown Row for our decorations , there were coloured crepe paper ones on rolls with two rows of stitching down the sides to pucker them up, and we'd twist them to hang .
And the coloured strips of gummed paper to make chains. I miss the Christmas's we had as kids, you can keep your Fibre Optic trees.

My youngest 2 (8 & 9) still make paperchains at christmas, looks awful (bless them) but hey ho, at least it keeps them quiet, also if any break they have to make more, also they have them in their bedrooms too, to make it look like christmas they reckon!

Get hold of an audio version of 'A Child’s Christmas in Wales' by Dylan Thomas. A bit of light humour and all about Christmas. I think it is pretty good, others may differ.

i do love a traditional christmas
and i always look back with fondness of the christmases we had as kids
i still have christmas decs from my childhood and i still use them
my hubby threatens every year to throw them out but i wont let him lol

i do love a traditional christmas
and i always look back with fondness of the christmases we had as kids
i still have christmas decs from my childhood and i still use them
my hubby threatens every year to throw them out but i wont let him lol

I love Christmas too, its a real family event , My eldest was born on 23rd December and my youngest on 22nd, all 4 of my children celebrate ther Birthday within 5 weeks of each other.

One of the things I remember about Christmas is - my dad staggering home from the B. Legion and telling my mother he loved her, but "didn't want her dinner at the moment" - she never heard those three words again until the next Christmas. Miriam.

We used to go to Woolies in Newtown Row for our decorations , there were coloured crepe paper ones on rolls with two rows of stitching down the sides to pucker them up, and we'd twist them to hang .
And the coloured strips of gummed paper to make chains. I miss the Christmas's we had as kids, you can keep your Fibre Optic trees.
:heart_eyes:1702958530553.jpeg

Back