• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Tracing Grandparents.

D

dalton

I am trying to trace my Grandfather,Thomas Henry Hanson,the only information have Ihave on him is he married a Leah Savage in1903 in Bordesley Green.A daughter was born in 1904,Leah Ethel Hanson.The family then moved to 42 Norman st.Winson Green,where he worked as a butcher.Any information would be appreciated.

Hi
Have you looked on the 1881 census site which is online at the Church of Latter Day Saints site? There is also the International Genealogical index which may give you his parents names and also his siblings.
The 1891 Warwickshire census is also partially online.
From these you get clues to ages, occupations, addresses etc. If you are really keen there's also " Gen Forum" where you can post queries under Surnames, England or Warwickshire . When you have more clues it may be useful to spend 5 quid and join Genes Connected.
Write to the Birmingham Library. Search every photo you have for clues such as the name of the photographer or the place of business. Ask the realtives REALLY important questions such as:
!. HAVE YOU GOT AN OLD TIN TRUNK UNDER THE BED WITH PAPERS/PHOTOS/CARDS ETC?
2. WHAT GOSSIP DO YOU REMEMBER ABOUT THE FAMILY?
I have found heaps of clues by asking questions in an indirect way rather than " When was Grandfather X born?"
3. Get military records _ I even found my grandfather had piles!!!!!!!!!Enough get to work!! And Good Luck
Marlene in New Zealand.
"Ancestors never die they simply lose their census."

tracing grand parents.

Dear Marlene,thanks for taking the time to reply to my Query>I have the marriage certificate of my grandparents dated 1903, but unfortunately the name of his father and his trade does not match any results found,had a good lead from the 1851 census but it fizzeled out,tried the 1881 1891 1901 census,but once again nothing worked out.(a quick look of the dozen or so Thomas Hanson onthe St Catherines list only one showed up in the age group,D.O.B. 1876/1877.) Thanks once again for help,I will have to keep looking. Bernie Dalton.

Gidday
If it is any help/consolation my great grandmother put her father's occupation as Jeweller on her marriage cert. when she was 17! It probably sounded better than Railway Porter and then pauper which was more truthful.
All I can suggest is you look for some other clue eg A Will, a death cert. records such as workhouse, asylum, apprenticeship. Is Thomas likely to have served in the military. The Army records are great I even know my grandfather had Piles!!!!!!!!! Do try other sites for clues it's amazing what ideas you get from others..
Good luck
Marlene

Hi
HAD OTHER THOUGHTS - DANGEROUS!! Apparently the golden rule is work backwards from WHAT YOU KNOW/HAVE VERIFIED.
1.DO YOU KNOW ANY OF YOUR GRANDFATHER'S SIBLINGS NAMES? If so check them out - someone may have an unusual name which makes the family easier to trace.
2. CAN YOUR PARENTS HELP? Look at their marriage cert. for example.
3.HAVE YOU TRIED SPELLING VARIANTS? I would look at Hanson and Hansen definitely. Remember the spelling depended on the literacy of the Parish Clerk and the pronounciation of the informant ie your family.
4. REMEMBER THE 1870-80S WERE A TIME OF MANY PEOPLE MOVING TO B'HAM FOR WORK SO THOMAS MAY HAVE BEEN BORN ELSEWHERE.
5. Are you in B'ham? Can you look up Parish registers? If so check the Parish Church where he married Leah. Sometimes there's added info which doesn't appear on the cert.
6. Always give as much info as you can when you ask for help. EG you don't give occupations or a the place for the likely lead you found in 1851.
Cheers
Marlene

Hi
There's a Thomas Henry Hanson born Wortley York 9c 302 on the free BMD site born 1876.
As I'm not familiar with the UK you'll have to sort out the geography. There's quite a few with the right name /age on the 1881 census online. That's why it might help to know your grandfaher's brother and sister's names. It will make identification of the next generation that much easier.
Cheers
Marlene

Tracing Grandparents

Dear Marlene,thanks for email Jan 2nd.A T.H.Hanson was recorded in Wortley 1876,but still there in 1900 at his wedding,Wortley by the way is in Yorkshire.I have a birth cert,Thomas Hanson dated 1876,Father George Thomas Hanson,occupation clock case maker.At the time of T.HHanson birth the family was living at 35 Court Charles Henry St,which coincidentally is near where James Hanson(1881Census)ran a pearl button business.George Hanson 49&Eliza are recorded on the 1901 census as being alive at Aston B,ham,with my experiance with the 1901 Census,I may leave it awhile until I pluck up courage to venture into that realm.Thomas Henry Hanson,wedding cert states Father Thomas, Occupation pearl button worker deceased.9th Feb 1903 The James Hanson mentioned (1851 Census) Pearl button worker,had a brother Thomas,coincidence? Hope you are not too confused! Regards Burnie.

thomas Hanson

1881 census entry

Name Relation Marital Status Gender Age Birthplace Occupation Disability
George I. HANSON Head M Male 30 Liverpool, Lancashire, England Clock Case Maker
Eliza HANSON Wife M Female 28 Birmingham, Warwick, England
George HANSON Son Male 9 Birmingham, Warwick, England Scholar
William HANSON Son Male 7 Birmingham, Warwick, England Scholar
Thomas HANSON Son Male 4 Birmingham, Warwick, England Scholar
John HANSON Son Male 1 Birmingham, Warwick, England
Charles BINGHAM Boarder U Male 10 Birmingham, Warwick, England None

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Source Information:
Dwelling Vincent St 4 Harrow Place
Census Place Kings Norton, Worcester, England

Does this help.

Hi
Yes I am Confused!! I am not sure what, exactly you want to know. There is a Thomas Hanson aged 30 on the 1901 census a tube drawer and you say George & Eliza are there. So you probably need to try it. As you have to pay 5 quid anyway I'd look for the siblings just in case you later need a clue.
Or find a friend who also needs two or three entries from the census. And ask them to look up the above.
Some libraries have the census for their area which you can look up.
Good Luck
Marlene

Hi Marlene ,it has been some time since we were last in touch,if you remember I was trying to trace my G/Father,who on his marriage certificate was registered as Thomas Henry Hanson. After along trace,I discovered purely by accident the following,he was born out of wedlock(old term)his fathers name was Thomas Swingler,and he was registered as such,his mothers name was Louisa Hanson,and he wed under that name,his mother married a Charles Pratt,and my G/Father was always known as Thomas Pratt,as I have said,it was purely by accident I traced him,on any census he was never registered as either Swingler,or Hanson,always as Pratt,nowonder he could,nt be found.
Regards Bernie Dalton.

Back