• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Town Hall

Vivienne14

Kentish Brummie Moderator
Staff member
I read in one of the 1850's books listed in a thread on this forum that it was originally intended the Town Hall entrance was to be located around the back, not where it is today. I think it was in the architects plans. I can't say I remember the back of the building, but don't recall it looking particularly eye-catching. Does anyone know of any pics anywhere of the back of the building? Viv

I suppose it could have been designed to be the other way round, with the entrance from what is now Chamberlain Square (but was slums at the time of its building). All the surrounding buildings have changed since it was built, some more than once.

20090627215532birmingham_town_hall_from_chamberlain_square.jpg

There doesn't seem to be much difference between either the north or south side. So perhaps the architect was covering his options! Viv.

Back