• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

TONY BUTLER

Really sad news. I remember his "get your prayer mats out" call to Villa fans in the 70s & 80s. Midlands Sport was Tony Butler, to use his own words he was "The Name of the Game". Those Sports Forums on a Friday night were compulsive listening for Midlands Sports fans, what banter! I even won a bottle of champagne on his show for predicting where Villa would finish at the end of the season (9th I think). Villa ran out to his theme tune in the late 70s/early 80s, it was "Theme from an unmade Silent Movie". RIP Tone and thanks for the memories!

1689498978730.png 1689499085574.png 1689499109614.png

Oh gosh :( my Mom had the radio on a lot during the day and I remember hearing his football phone-in programme sometimes.
The subject was not of interest to me but it was certainly entertaining!
RIP Tony.

Sad news - he was part of my youth, and will forever be remembered from Jasper Carrotts famous live TV show - "He's world famous in Birmingham he really is!!!"
Tony is the one with the microphone on the council house balcony in 1981 when Villa came back with the league championship trophy - making the commentary you can hear above in post #10:-
1689546373553.png

On the next one he is extreme right:-
1689546435970.png

RIP Tone...........

Last edited:
Sad news - he was part of my youth, and will forever be remembered from Jasper Carrotts famous live TV show - "He's world famous in Birmingham he really is!!!"
Tony is the one with the microphone on the council house balcony in 1981 when Villa came back with the league championship trophy - making the commentary you can hear above in post #10:-
View attachment 181967

On the next one he is extreme right:-
View attachment 181968

RIP Tone...........
I was there as were so very many of us, including many who have sadly since become HEITS (Holte Enders In The Sky). His radio coverage of those games in far flung locations during the following couple of years that I couldn't quite get to, in East Germany, Russia, Iceland, Italy, Turkey, Romania and Japan, when we were all glued to the radio and smiled when he told us to get out our prayer mats. Sad to think we will not hear him say "Tony Butler BRMB Sport" again, although I can still remember his dulcet tones saying just that.

There used to be a website about the history of BRMB radio - it contained hundreds of clips including Butler, Doolan, Ross (both of them!) and such classics as the "BRMB Horse Of The Day" and the unforgettable "Radio Acocks Green".
The website no longer appears to exist, but I did download a few things - I'll try to post them but they are a bit big so I need to shrink them first!

Back