• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Tidy up please

Carolann

Journeyman Brummie
My father and friends in The royal Engineers in WW2,could do with a tidy up if possible please ,

CarolannScan_20150702.jpg

Carolann, with all of the spare white background, this is quite a image that can be repaired, however will look much better if you rescan it. Can you scan it again, place the photo at the top corner of the scanner, and then crop into the image when you do the pre scan. Can you also set the resolution at 300dpi.

Scan_20150702.jpgScan_20150702.jpgThankyou done it again in 300 dpi as you said dont look right to me smaller not good at this at all

Hi Carolann - You might find in the settings for your scanner an option to scan images as separate files. If you have this option, ticking the box will make the scanner only scan the photo possibly in higher resolution, it won't scan all the white area. This option (if you have it) is useful if you scan several photos at once, it will produce separate images for each photo and not show them as a group on a white background.

Anyway below is my attempt. I've not removed every little blemish but most of the faces are as originally photographed, except the man sitting to the right of your dad which was difficult because of missing bits. I've left a white area at the bottom where you could put some text with a photo editor.
Image2.jpg

Hi this is photo of my sister Eileen and her mates abt. 1958 I've done some restoration on it, but I have no idea about adding colour, would someone have a go at it please,
Thank you. Michael.eileen 1958.jpg

Hi Michael - Adding colour is a long process and I use a freebie program 'GIMP' and one I did on one of my own photos can be seen in a forum post with comments below. The GIMP program is very powerful but not easy to use. Basically you create a transparent layer over the photo layer and put the colours in, it is a very long and difficult process particularly with a close-up pic like yours.
My example pic below is not a close-up pic.
https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=38017&p=537240#post537240

Last edited:
Thanks for your reply, oldMohawk, I did realise that to colour a photo would probably be a long process, as I have often spent a couple of hours just trying to take the creases and scratches out of other forum members photo's only to find when I come to post my efforts that someone has pipped me at the post with a better result, but I never minded has I enjoyed the challenge, but Thanks for your explanation, all the best Michael.

Thank you dennis absolutely superb, Much better than I could have hoped for, I do have a photo programme serif photo plus which does do colour, but its a bit like the u bend under our sink I can't get me Head round it. All the best Michael.

Ok here it is,,, got some colours in there, but the low res of the image wasn't ideal for colour,,, hope its Ok for you.
Brilliant and so quickly done ...
encouragement.png

Back