• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Thread alerts in junk box

Status
Not open for further replies.

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
hi folks i thought my inbox had been quiet this past couple of days...just noticed that all my thread alerts are going in there instead of my inbox...is anyone else having this problem because normally i will delete the junk without even looking at them..

lyn

If IE has updated it may have reset your security level.

Sent from my HTC Desire X using Tapatalk 2

thans G..think im reset now so could someone reply to this thread so i can test it please..

many thanks

thanks sue all ok now...you know how i just hate to miss me alerts lol...

lyn

I have had a problem over the past few days where I wasnt getting any emails regarding threads I had commented on. After trying different suggestions, I in the end because I had a laptop, let the battery run down completely and then replugged back into electrics to charge it back up and it reverted to its original where I now am getting my emails again.

I thought today my email bell has been quiet since Friday so investigated and found my Gmail has been sending all thread alerts to my spam box, so a little tweak of Gmail was needed and all sorted now....

I "think" i have fixed the email spam issue now, added a new dns record and ive created a server side email address this should solve the "going into spam" box.

if anyone can confirm that would be great

I notice a forum alert I received at 9.12 am this morning and all my previous emails had a Gmail yellow warning

'! This message was not sent to Spam because of a filter you created.' I had set this filter.

Email alerts I have received since 9.22 am have not got the Gmail yellow warning so your changes have worked.

I notice the alerts from your posts (understandably) come from a different forum email address and 3 weeks ago these went into spam until I set the Gmail spam filter.

So everything has been ok for me for the last 3 weeks ....
encouragement.png

I notice a forum alert I received at 9.12 am this morning and all my previous emails had a Gmail yellow warning

'! This message was not sent to Spam because of a filter you created.' I had set this filter.

Email alerts I have received since 9.22 am have not got the Gmail yellow warning so your changes have worked.

I notice the alerts from your posts (understandably) come from a different forum email address and 3 weeks ago these went into spam until I set the Gmail spam filter.

So everything has been ok for me for the last 3 weeks ....
encouragement.png

Only just fixed it. How about now?

In plain English (1) how do you amend security setting and (2) how do I find out which IE version I am using (its supposed to be IE11).

Hi Eric, although I have IE (it comes with Windows) I don't use it much but if you click on the little gear wheel top right corner a dialogue box appears and at the bottom of the dialogue box click on 'About Internet Explorer' and a small window appears which shows which version of IE you have.
With regard to IE I just use the default security settings and rely on Malwarebytes, Windows Defender, and my own cautious use of the internet to protect my computer.

Hi Eric, although I have IE (it comes with Windows) I don't use it much but if you click on the little gear wheel top right corner a dialogue box appears and at the bottom of the dialogue box click on 'About Internet Explorer' and a small window appears which shows which version of IE you have.
With regard to IE I just use the default security settings and rely on Malwarebytes, Windows Defender, and my own cautious use of the internet to protect my computer.

Good advice. Malwarebytes is good & I also recommend Rapport Endpoint Protection if you do any banking online (it`s free) but it can cause problems in Firefox for some reason.

Personally I don't see what all the fuss concerning notifications and thread alerts is all about. I don't get any at all, to be quite frank I have turned them all off. I find that popping on to the forum at least once every day negates the need for my mail inbox getting filled with mail that I just end up deleting mostly unread. If we all relied on visiting the site every day instead of catching up by email then the site would become a much busier place.

Good advice. Malwarebytes is good & I also recommend Rapport Endpoint Protection if you do any banking online (it`s free) but it can cause problems in Firefox for some reason.
Hi Smudger - I do use Rapport mainly because my bank likes me to, but I only use it in my desktop computer which is ethernet wire connected to the router.

Most of my internet use is on my iPad, and I never thought I would use a computer without a mouse or keyboard but I do and I'm the using the iPad to post this.

My Gmail filters for spam (which I don't get a lot of) before forwarding it to my Apple iCloud email which is where I read them whenever my iPad dings to let me know I've got email.

I suppose we all use our computers slightly differently and with regard to browsers, there is not much to choose between them, the best browser is simply the one you like using.

My iPad can see the all the files in my laptop and desktop (tower) and I have a 32Gb memory stick plugged into my router which all my devices can see.

I use the iCloud and Gdrive and sometimes the pics I post here are link to files on the Gdrive.

It's all good fun ....
smile-new.png

hi phil i get what you are saying but to be honest i rely heavily on having email alerts to threads i have posted on...if i am away for say a week i need to know what threads to catch up on or reply to when i get back...far as i can see we only have the facility to read todays posts..it wouldnt be so bad if that could be extended to being able to see posts made for a week or so unless we can and i cant see it...last year when i was away for a week i came back to about 75 email alerts for this forum so i didnt miss anything lol

lyn

Last edited:
Hi Lyn I have the same thoughts about email alerts. With regard to recent posts, if you type search all in the white search box top right and click the magnifying glass you will see the last 500 posts ... rather a lot to look through so I don't do it very often ... it's easier to look at the email alerts.

Hi Lyn I have the same thoughts about email alerts. With regard to recent posts, if you type search all in the white search box top right and click the magnifying glass you will see the last 500 posts ... rather a lot to look through so I don't do it very often ... it's easier to look at the email alerts.

oh crikey phil i would not want to go through that many to see if anyone had posted on my subscribed to threads...much easier and quicker for me to check my email alerts that way i wont miss any...just my preference though...

lyn

Hi Smudger - I do use Rapport mainly because my bank likes me to, but I only use it in my desktop computer which is ethernet wire connected to the router.

Most of my internet use is on my iPad, and I never thought I would use a computer without a mouse or keyboard but I do and I'm the using the iPad to post this.

My Gmail filters for spam (which I don't get a lot of) before forwarding it to my Apple iCloud email which is where I read them whenever my iPad dings to let me know I've got email.

I suppose we all use our computers slightly differently and with regard to browsers, there is not much to choose between them, the best browser is simply the one you like using.

My iPad can see the all the files in my laptop and desktop (tower) and I have a 32Gb memory stick plugged into my router which all my devices can see.

I use the iCloud and Gdrive and sometimes the pics I post here are link to files on the Gdrive.

It's all good fun ....
smile-new.png

oldMohawk, you have far more internet savvy than me. I can`t afford an iPad ,(wife doesn`t give me enough pocket money) & although I`ve heard of the "cloud" I haven`t a clue what it is. I was a bit confused when you said you have a memory stick plugged into your router so I checked mine & it does have a usb port which I didn`t know about. As for browsers, like you say which ever one you use is the one you like using. I would normally use Firefox but the last couple of updates have caused problems so it was back to ie11. I also have chrome & have tried giving instruction via the microphone but it all felt a bit daft talking to a computer!!

Hi smudger I have a BT home hub and I plug in the USB memory stick and it is set up as a network drive If you use G mail you automatically are using the G drive and Google give you 15gigabyte of disk space to play with I have posted this talking to my iPad but I also feel a bit daft talking to my iPad so I prefer to type my posts on it even if I have no real keyboard and no mouse
Old mohawk notice the audio got your forum name correct but did not get my forum name correct

Sent from my iPad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back