• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Thomas Tonks (c1871 -1916) - help appreciated

Could you tell us what period was the William Tonks you are interested in ?
The Tonks family seem to be full of button makers. Charles, John and Samuel are all listed (at different addresses) as pearl button makers in the 1841 directory. In the 1845 and 1849 directories there is a William Tonks, pearl button maker at court 12½ Kenyon St. The only Thomas is listed as a merchant. In 1855 Thomas is a shopkeeper & pearl button maker at 55 Kenyon St, while There is a William Tonks, pearl button maker, 112 New John street. Not sure if any of this is any help, but knowing the period of William might be of assistance

Thomas Tonks marriage to Martha Earp doesn't appear to take place until after Thomas (son) was born. Not sure what significance that has - a previous marriage for Thomas, illegitimate son of Martha (there is a possible reg) or just a son before marriage.

Don’t know if this has any earlier connection, but there was in 1849 a marriage of Tom Tonks a button maker…

This Thomas Tonks did have a son called Thomas b1850. This elder Thomas was born about 1823 and there is baptism that could be his with, parents William (button maker) and Maria. However there are 2 other baptisms with different parents that could also be his.

Re-reading the probate I see the death actually took place in Handsworth and there is a matching death reg. in West Bromwich which either has the age wrong or is someone else. However, either way Helena is listed as a widow so even if that isn't the correct Thomas then he must have died prior to that.

Actually, I think the age is about right.

Last edited:
With ref. to post #2, there is an article in the Bham Weekly Post 4 Aug 1900, that mentions glass toy and button makers Neal and Tonks who contributed to the Great Exhibition.

Ok, I'd hope the link would go to the record but it doesn't, so here's a screenshot...

View attachment 190526
Hello , thank you, This might be possible . I have a photo of Thomas with his eldest daughter Eleanor Mabel . She was born 10 May 1895, in the photo she looks at least 2-3, which would mean he died very close to this photo if it was 1897. But so many of the information fits. If he died in Jan 1897 his wife Helena was pregnant with their 2nd daughter Olive who was born in April 1897. Thank you for the help its so helpful

Attachments

• Thomas Tonks & Eleanor Mabel Tonks.jpg
    Thomas Tonks & Eleanor Mabel Tonks.jpg
    279.2 KB · Views: 7
Could you tell us what period was the William Tonks you are interested in ?
The Tonks family seem to be full of button makers. Charles, John and Samuel are all listed (at different addresses) as pearl button makers in the 1841 directory. In the 1845 and 1849 directories there is a William Tonks, pearl button maker at court 12½ Kenyon St. The only Thomas is listed as a merchant. In 1855 Thomas is a shopkeeper & pearl button maker at 55 Kenyon St, while There is a William Tonks, pearl button maker, 112 New John street. Not sure if any of this is any help, but knowing the period of William might be of assistance
Thank you , everything is helpful. I'll take a look . BW

There are Thomas Tonks buried in 1897 at both Key Hill and Warstone Lane.
The one at Key Hill is in January but that at Warstone Lane is November.

There are Thomas Tonks buried in 1897 at both Key Hill and Warstone Lane.
The one at Key Hill is in January but that at Warstone Lane is November.
Hello Janice , Thank you , I think he may well be in Key Hill. It looks like he may have died in Jan . Bw Corinna

From JQRT website these are the details of the people in the same grave
1712151759092.png

A search gave these entries
1712151824655.png

• Appreciate
Reactions: MWS
Hello , thank you, This might be possible . I have a photo of Thomas with his eldest daughter Eleanor Mabel . She was born 10 May 1895, in the photo she looks at least 2-3, which would mean he died very close to this photo if it was 1897. But so many of the information fits. If he died in Jan 1897 his wife Helena was pregnant with their 2nd daughter Olive who was born in April 1897. Thank you for the help its so helpful

Assuming that the Thomas Tonks who died 1 Jan 1897 is the correct one, then Eleanor would have only been 18 months old. As you say she looks older than this in the picture and the man looks older than 22 (though I'm not great with ages on old photos) so could it be Eleanor with her grandfather?

The death record is available as a digital image so not too dear.
1712155738622.png

Two possibles died in 1916 (as per the original post)
1712155921936.png
If the dob given is correct (although I haven't found a reg) then we are looking at the first one.

Interestingly a tree on Ancestry suggests the second named Thomas Richard is the son of a William.

The 1916 death is probably a Thomas Tonks who was living in Ward End in 1911. His wife, the brilliantly named Love Eliza, is with him in 1911 and a widow in 1921.

The 1916 death is probably a Thomas Tonks who was living in Ward End in 1911. His wife, the brilliantly named Love Eliza, is with him in 1911 and a widow in 1921.
Hello MWS. this Thomas Tonks and Love Eliza were my great grand parents Love came from Gloucester Thomas was a railway wagon builder.

• Appreciate
Reactions: MWS
Back