• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Thomas Lloyd

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
hi folks would anyone who has subs for the british newspaper archives kindly have a look please to see if there is anything about about the death of a thomas lloyd who died in a gas explosion in 1931...possibly at saltley gas works...

many thanks for any help folks

lyn

Last edited:
Lyn,

Over 6,200 entries for Thomas Lloyd in 1931 but none in the Birmingham / West Midlands area. Is it definitely 1931?

Also tried searching on "gas explosion" - same result - nothing in our area.

Maurice

hi maurice ive got his death ref thats not the problem...what i need are any newspaper reports of him being killed in a gas explosion most likely at saltley gas works...this is according to his family..his poor wife commited suicide in 1940

here is his death

Name: Thomas Lloyd
Birth Date: abt 1888
Date of Registration: Jun 1931
Age at Death: 43
Registration district: Birmingham North
Inferred County: Warwickshire
Volume: 6d
Page: 572

Lyn,

Also tried searching on "gas explosion"+ Saltley, and there is no report of such between 1915 and 1944.

What was his wife's name?

Maurice

That solves that then, Mike!

Nothing in the non-local newspapers either.

Maurice

Last edited:
ok thanks mike and maurice...death cert is being ordered and if it does prove he died in a gas explosion then its a trip to the library to check the newspapers for a report..

lyn

hi folks just goes to show that we cant always believe family myths and tales....death certs for both ada and husband thomas state that ada did not commit suicide...she died at her daughters house in moland st of cronic heart problems and heart failure daughter present at death...husband thomas did not die in a gas explosion at the gas works...he died of TB at union road he did however work at the gas works..that part was true...

lyn

...and that, Lyn, was before the internet, blogs, often coloured and off mark and the rise of fake news. :eek:

Lyn,

I've never found a family myth that was true yet! When I was first starting out in genealogy thirty years ago, my mother told me that my great grandfather had the same name as my grandfather, William LONGMORE. Long before the days of the internet, when the only source of BMD was the big books in London, I searched in vain for a year - I hadn't bothered to get William's birth certificate, hoping to save myself a few bob. In the end I splashed out and bought that certificate only to find that his father was John James LONGMORE!

When I tackled by mother about it, she said. "Well I was only fourteen when he died, and I only knew him as Grandpa". Lessons learned!

Maurice

Back