• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Thomas Henry Manton And Fanny L. Manton In 1892

D

dogwoodtravel

I am searching for some sign of life of my Gr Grandfather Thomas Henry Manton, in 1891 he was 35 yrs old found in the Winson Green Assylum and then discharged to Aston Union that year. His wife Fanny L. Manton [FONT=&quot]was living at 124 Bordsley Green, Aston with 3 of their children. (1891). If you could take a brief look for Thomas Henry Manton I could accept the fact that he probably died while living at Aston Union Workhouse. If his wife Fanny L. Manton is still listed in the 1892 directory then I would
know that she was not widowed yet. Many thanks for anyone who can help me.

Last edited by a moderator:
This could be his birth --

Thomas Henry Manton 2nd qtr 1855 Aston 6d 294

Will have a look see what else i can find

bren

Bren- That would be great.
Thomas Henry Manton noted James Manton in Birchfield, Handsworth as his father on his wedding registration. I have been checking online and cannot
find such a birth registration in 1855., Aston March 2nd Quarter 6d 294

1861 Census --

Name:Thomas H Manton
Estimated Birth Year:abt 1856
Relation:Son
Father's Name:James
Mother's Name:Sarah Ann
Where born:Aston, Warwickshire, England
Civil Parish:Birmingham
Ecclesiastical parish:St Mathias
Town:Birmingham
County/Island:Warwickshire Country:England
Street address: Bridge Street West, 2 Smiths Building

Registration district:Birmingham
Sub registration district:St George
ED, institution, or vessel:49
Household schedule number:69
Household Members:NameAge
Emma E Manton1
James Manton26 Silversmith
James A Manton3
Sarah Ann Manton29
Thomas H Manton5

Source Citation: Class: RG9; Piece: 2164; Folio: 109; Page: 14; GSU roll: 542928.

James snr was born Thornby, Northamptonshire
Sarah was born in Solihull, Warwickshire
The three children all born Aston, Birmingham, Warwickshire

I will see if i can find that death registration you first enquired about

bren

I found him on FreeBMD
Births Jun Qt 1855 Manton Thomas Henry Aston 6d 294

It's the same as Bren's reg'

Pom

These were the only death's after 1890 that came close to Tom's age, but they are all a little out! They are from FreeBMD Covering B'Ham, Aston, Staff's and Warwickshire. I wonder if he's been miss transcribed, I've tried a couple of variants with no luck Mantor/Manter. May be someone else could have a go, as I may just have missed him LOL.
Deaths Sep 1899 Manton Thomas 53 Bromsgrove 6c220
Deaths Dec 1908 Manton Thomas 68 Aston 6d193
Deaths Mar 1916 Manton Thomas 54 Aston 6d475
Deaths Sep 1918 Manton Thomas 78 Aston 6d542
Deaths Sep 1925 Manton Thomas 80 Warwick 6d701

Pom

Hi Pom

You have had about the same results as myself, i even tried Worcestershire with the same result, nowt, he might have lived to a ripe old age as some did

bren

He was miss transcribed here on the 1891 Census, so anything is possible:

Address: B'ham City Asylum Winson Green 1891

MANTON JH (TH ) Patient M M 35 Jeweller Unknown Disability: Lunatic

Here's his Mother and some siblings 1891:

1891 Census

Place: Birmingham -Warwickshire
Civil Parish: Birmingham
Ecclesiastical Parish: All Saints
Address: 57 Whitmore St

Surname First name(s) Rel Status Sex Age Occupation Where Born MANTON Sarah A Head W F 58 Living On Her Own Means Warwickshire - Birmingham
MANTON James A Son S M 33 Jeweller(Em'ee) Warwickshire - Aston
MANTON Emma E Dau S F 31 Club Holder(Em'ee) Warwickshire - Aston
MANTON Frederick W Son S M 20 Jeweller(Em'ee) Staffordshire - Handsworth

Pom

I will order the birth certificate- thank you it was not online the last time I searched. I did retrive some records from the Winsom Green Asylum and he was transferred to the Aston Union Workhouse in 1891. I do not believe he
lived much longer and probably died in the Workhouse around. Fanny was listed as a widow living with her son at the marriage of Archibald Manton in Nottingham around 1899.
Thank you all for your generous time.

I've got a Mary Manton born c1835 in my tree, only know that she was second wife to my GGgrandfather Henry Taylor born c1816. His first wife was Maria Adcock born c1828. All in Aston I think. E.

If Thomas Henry was mis-transcribed in the death register, could this be him?Name: Henry Mountney Estimated Birth Year: abt 1856 Year of Registration: 1891 Quarter of Registration: Oct-Nov-Dec Age at Death: 35 District: Birmingham (1837-1924) County: Warwickshire Volume: 6d Page: 1
Long shot,I know,but.........

Hi, Just found this thread. I think the death of Thomas Manton Sept. 1925 may be my grandfather. He was born 1865 married to Sarah Jane Bettett 1900 and I know he died in 1925 when my father was 15. Thanks for info.
As for the Thos Manton married to Fanny, she was born in Ipswich, and as a family they seemed to move around perhaps they went back to Ipswich??? unless his death has already been found.........

Back