• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Thomas Attwood Statue

horsencart

master brummie
They have removed the Thomas Attwood, Statue today I got there to late to see the Statue being lifted but here at 8 photos that may be of interest the one where it appears he is having a rest on the lorry is the third and fourth one in
Edit. The photos in the link above are no longer available, but Guilbert53 has kindly posted his own photos in post #10.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you horsencart, he does look good lying there!
I don't know where he will be put now, or is he just going into storage? I liked the way he was reading on the steps.
rosie.

According to a Mail article last September the 3 statues will be replaced.

Two statues have been removed from Chamberlain Square ahead of the demolition of Central Library and the start of construction work on two new office buildings.
Last night, a team lifted the statues of James Watt and Joseph Priestley from their plinths and transported them for storage in Birmingham Museums Trust's Collection Centre.
The Thomas Attwood statue and the plinths will also be removed and stored shortly.
They will be returned in due course as part of public realm work in the square for the £500 million Paradise project which will see the demolition of the former library and Paradise Forum shopping centre and the construction of eight new office buildings and a hotel.
Janice

As horsencart's photos at the start of this topic are no longer available here is a photo of the status "in situ" outside the old library that I took in 2010 to remind everyone of how it looked.

One interesting little story about this statue.

A few years after I took this photo they blocked off this area to begin library demolition and then they announced they were going to remove the statue.

I went up there to see the statue one last time and saw an older lady standing looking through the fence at the statue.

We got chatting and she told me she was one of Thomas Attwood's relatives and she had come to see the statue before they removed it. She had come over from Halesowen where she lived (and where Thomas Attwood was born) to see the statue.

ES 23 Jan 2010 065.jpg

Close up of the face. I must say the artist has captured a lovely expression.

ES 23 Jan 2010 061.jpg

Last edited:
Doesn't look as if the loose papers that surrounded the statue before have been returned. I thought that they were a trip hazard anyway.

Only the plaque has come back. Not seen anything else yet and a page that Attwood was holding is missing, or hasn't been reinstalled yet.

Back