• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Then & Now

It's the alignment of Cole Bank Road with School Road probably, otherwise traffic would have to go onto a section of the Stratford Road.

Similar to Fox Hollies Road to Highfield Road in Hall Green.

Looking again at the Google 1945 aerial view there seems to be a 'hint' of house on the corner as marked in the pic below. Although it was a cafe in 1935, before then it must have been a fairly substantial house fronting on to the Stratford Road. A house does show on old maps. Looking at the tree in the 1952 pic in post#358, it looks like a Yew tree which can live a long time and the tree shown in the modern photos looks almost the same.
Cole_ Bank 1945.JPG

When one lives, everyday of their life, with a person, or in an environment, one hardly notices the changes. It is a gradual process, and changes, which are caused by age, or choice, only become apparent over time.

The more photographs I see of 'modern' Birmingham, with all the 'hustle & bustle', the changing character of the growing city, eating up more and more of the surrounding area. at an ever increasing speed, and the lack of 'soul' that I fondly remember when I left, nearly seventy years ago, the more delighted I am that I now live in very rural Norfolk, where it has hardly changed in over one hundred years. I have a map from 1838, and our village is still almost the same.

I still love the Birmingham that I knew, and that built my character into my twenties, but that so called 'modern' life is definitely not for me. Each to their own, I guess.

Eddie

This aerial view dated 1952 show Crossways (marked) and a tree (marked) where the Hazelmoor Cafe probably was. Cole Bank Road going out of the view top right.
View attachment 120774
image from 'britainfromabove'
Notice the zebra crossing across Stratford Rd. near to School Rd. at that time an innovation! If I remember correctly the early crossings had diagonal stripes.

I have just checked the 1911 census and Crossways is listed but not a house called Hazelmoor. I suspect it was there but had a different name.

Acocks Green in 1950 and the tram terminus on the right and Burton's Shop opposite.
acocksgreen1950.JPG

Acocks Green now, and three buildings seen in the old pic, including Burton's shop, are still there.
acocksgreennow2.JPG

One observation about Acocks Green, given as 1950, Has to be earlier than that as the 44 route trams to Acocks Green ceased on 5th. January, 1937 and were replaced by the 44 bus route. Noting a Belisha beacon on the left of the photo suggests a date of 1935 onwards as Belsiha beacons were introduced in 1935. The overhead was probably soon removed but it might have been another year as the Hall Green route was also abandoned at the same time.

The main route through Acocks Green Village now is the 37. The 11A, 11C, 31, and 1 also stop in the village.

The then, in post 371, shows the original terminus of the Alum Rock 8 route tram. It was extended to Belchers Lane (The Pelham) in October 1925 which puts the date of the photo prior to that. The extension of track was the last street track to be laid by the corporation. All subsequent extensions were on reserved tracks.
Pleasing to see the cottages in Kingston Row still extant after some thoughtful renovation.

One of those rare occasions when the modern day photo, is an improvement on the old photo, with reference to Kingston Row.

Thornhill Road, Streetly, mid 1920s with the Sutton Park on the right.
ZThornhillRdThen.jpg

Thornhill Road today and they now have a handy Co-op.
ThornhillRdNow.JPG

I see the Co-Op has extended its premises to include the adjacent house. In the 'then' picture it appears that a shop was already there: I wonder what it was?

I saw the shop before the Co-op but can't remember what it was. Searching for it I came across a post card below which must be earlier than the 'then' pic in #378. There is a gap between the houses in which they later built two houses where the young boy was standing.
Thornhillearly.jpg

Back