• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

The War in Burma

Group photo of The Sergeants, 1st Battalion Queens Royal Regiment at Bangkok, Siam January 1946, my brother C/ Sergeant Albert (Bert) Copsey is forth from right, front row. Len.

Thank you for this thread I have read through many times . Len I think the photo of the soldier with newspaper and ciggie looks just like my Dad, but my sister says he had his tattoos in India before going to Burma. Anyway they show a little of how unbelievably hard it must have been. I would just like to say that Ancestry has the listings for WW2 Warwickshire Regiments campaign medals . I found Dad - W [small arrow L ] Mortimer Campaign India N W Frontier 1937-39 1st Battalion the Royal Warwickshire Regiment - place Gardia oct 5th 1941 - Lt Col Alluh[?] National Archives WO 100/500. On another sheet he is listed under 'B' company.
Just incase someone reading doesn't know, Ancestry is free at the library, well in england not sure of elsewhere.
Bye

I would be interested to know if anyone remembers my late father Herbert (Bert) Banks who hailed from Perry Common. He was a Chindit in Burma and he suffered along with the rest of them. Sadly, I never had or have found a photograph of my father and at my age now I hardly think I ever will, but remain hopefull.

Hey mr mick, I have an old mate who was a Chindit. He sent me the book he'd written during the war with photo's and everything but I thought it would be lost when I cark it here in Australia. I wrote to the Queen and asked her if she could do anything but being rather busy her secretary wrote back and said perhaps I should contact the British War Museum. This I did and they agreed to read the book and if it was of any historical value they would put it on display or use it for research. I have in my possesion a letter from the museum accepting the book and they also sent a nice letter to The Chindit thanking him. I can't remember the names on the pictures but even though The Chindit is very ill, I'll get back to him and ask if I can send his email address to you. I'll also send you the contact I made at the museum with their permission. Kind Regards, David, an Aston Australian

What a fantastic thread. Such a shame the pics are gone. Let's hope they can be replaced on here one day.
My father was a gunner in the Royal Artillery in WW2 and one of his postings was to Burma. He never spoke about his time in the war really and didn't have his medals (don't know why?). So, just before he died, I asked if he would mind if I sent for them and he said ok. He died in 2000 but I have his 5 medals (The France & Germany Star, 1939-45 Star, 1939-1945 Defence Star, 1939-1945 War Medal & the Burma Star.) I have just sent for his Army records to try and find out a bit more.

Suzanne

I have only just found this thread, how fascinating it is. I knew my sister's father in law had been in Burma, but he was one of the lucky ones, he came back alive. I knew him, but not particularly well. I saw him several times on television when the opened the NMA at Alrewas. Sadly he died about two years ago, his name was Arthur Alex Bourne (known as Alex).

I was wholly shocked knowing what they went through to find my gran's cousin had died on the Burma railway in September 1943. He was a driver in the RASC and only aged 38. He is buried at Thanbyuzayat War Cemetery - or at least 'remembered' - so I presume that means buried? I am not ashamed to say I shed at tear or two for him when I went to Alrewas. His widow never remarried and they had no children, so no-one really to remember him.

Hello David Weaver, how kind of you to reply with so much information and yes, please, I would be honoured to be in touch with the Chindit you mention and to have any information that would help me in my quest. Thank you so much for your mail, it means a lot. Best Wishes to you and yours. Mick.

Hey mr mick, my email address is xxxxxxxxxxx. Send me yours and I'll start the ball rolling but don't mess around, my mate is very sick. Regards, David.

Last edited by a moderator:
My Uncle Walter was killed in Burma 1944.lets also remember our prisoners of War especially those at Sandakan read the book:Conspiracy of Silence:

makes me smile sometimes when I think that millions of Americans are riding about in
motor cars with engines made by the same company who made the areo engines that
bombed Pearl Harbor, Time changes everything! Bernard

I have just read a book called The Railway Man by Eric Lomax, he was prisoner of war in Burma and now lives in a home in Berwick on Tweed, they are making a film of the book and Colin Firth is playing Eric Lomax, my grand daughter works at the home in Berwick where he is and asked him if he would sign my copy of his book, which he has, I really enjoyed reading it, cant believe what they went through.

Looks a great chap Glennys, you must be very proud of him,as we all should for those lads of the "forgotten army" who had such a terrible war, 90 yrs, 'a', some innings.
paul

Back