• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

The V G Stores

Astonian

gone but not forgotten
Hi guys
what ever happenend to the good old vg stores that was around birmingham in the
Fiftys and sixties i asked does anybody recall them
there was two in stechford close to each other by the stechford swimming baths
And my wife worked at them both when she was a young lady , ha, thats going
Back years when we was first met fifty years ago
there was one on station road by the station the guy was named eric
and the other one was on the croft behind the baths that was a mr mitchell
but also they was all over birmingham, at one time now they have disapeared years
could these shops be called cost cutters of todays grocers
did you have one by you , have you still got one by you ? ,
best wishes Astonian,,,, Alan,,,

Alan
They were purchased by Alldays (if you remember that chain) and they in turn were purchased by the co-op

Hi mike
Many thanks for your reply on the vg stores i seem slightly in recording seein the Allday,s shops
I never knew they was a large chain, but yes i seen the odd one or two
And thanks for telling me about the co/op taking over all the stores which i admit i never known it
Mike ,you are a gem of wealth in knowledge
Best wishes Alan ,, Astonian,,,

Back