• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

THE UNKNOWN TERRORIST by Richard Flanagan

K

Kate

Got this book for my 60th birthday. It's quite different from some of his other books (like Death of a River Guide). He's a Tasmanian Author (Flanagan). This is really about the power of the media and he has dedicated the book to David Hicks, the Australian held in Guantanomo Bay for years without trial or support from the Australian Government. The legal profession here are now getting behind him (finally ) and the man I've worked with for three years (a Queens Counsel) is in complete agreement that we need to get David out and let him face the music in his own country.
But back to "The Unknown Terrorist". It paints Sydney in a very bad light I must say - focussing on its underbelly which most major cities have. But the power of the media is the main message in the book. The Doll (the main character) stays with me and I have to read the book again. Can't tell you more about The Doll without giving it all away. Recommended reading.

Back