• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

The Right Way into the Yard ?

chocks2

master brummie
Between the old terraced houses their was a passage that lead through to the yards. Most of them had the upper floor built over them and there was always a couple of steel support bars going across from house to house. Like most kids, I spent hour swinging on the bars, but what I would really like to know is what was the correct Brummie name for the passageway. I always called it the "ally". My Gran and my Dad always called it the "Gully" but most of the older folk at the time refered to it as the "Ginnell". Any oppinions on this one?

Now you mention it, I remember it being called the "entry", I'd forgotten that one. Cheers Bordsley Exile.

In Aston, it was always the 'entry'. The steel bars were used to store ladders when I was a kid, probably a left-over from the war. Where I lived the various entries made up a complex series of passageways, and it was possible to avoid one's enemies by running down an entry from one street and emerging in another street.

I think a 'ginnell' was the lane between lines of back-to-backs, where there was usually a drain. I don't think it's a Midlands word, probably Northern England in origin.

Big Gee

Some entrys had a cast iron plate at the top side which gave access to the chimney for the chimney sweep. Len.

In aston we always called it the entry, and on cold brrr winter nights Ron and l would always find the warm spot half way down the entry as that was the spot that the back of the fire was....dad always had a fire half way up the grate.....so it was'nt quite as cold saying goodnight.....brenda

Di I was going to say something on those lines too. You had to remember to brush the dust off your coat before you went in or you would get a look of your dad. Happy days

Have heard them refered to as tunnel entrys, some wide some narrow.
We always said "our yard" I suppose that covered all types.

We had entry's in Erdington, with a small door half way up the wall known as the coal hole.. for obvious reasons.

Oh yes it was mostly certainly called the entry
in aston . and in lady wood in fact most places
when we played hide and seek or tracking down ladywood
around the cope st .stour st spring field st ladywood
they all lead you you into a big court yard and they all had that particular openings on all four corners of the yard
and they was always called entries
if some-one chased you from playing door knock run
you would say to your mate -quick down this entry .
ackie -one -two three found yah
have a nice day every body best wishes astonian ;;

Yes ,they were always entries in Erdington and elsewhere in the midlands I believe.
The word ginnell in Lancashire is used to describe the passage often cobbled that ran at the back of houses with the back of the houses in the next street down opening into it also(as in Coronation street)

To add an amendment,just checked my Carl Chinn 'Proper Brummie'

ginnel an entry,alleyway or passageway between terraced houses,see also gulley.

Last edited:
What a sheltered life i've had, and all that information from such a simple question. Thanks for all the answers and comments but I had to get it right for an item I am writing.
Many thanks one and all.

In the blocks of 4 houses in Billesley the access to the rear gardens of the middle two and at either end where called entries

Back