• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

The President Lincoln, 123 Longmore street

T

tor6869

Hello all,
We recently started our family tree, and found in the 1891 census that my great grandmother, Selina Wright was the licensee of The President Lincoln pub....123 Longmore St, which is now in Highgate.
We have had absolutely no luck in finding any information or photographs of this pub....we have searched the Birmingham central library archives and trawled the internet, but came out with nothing.....we would be so grateful if anyone here has got any news or photos we could look at.

many thanks,
Tracey.

Hello Tracey and welcome.
Your query had me busy for a couple of hours going through the directories, because the answer is far from simple.
In the first place, I have no trace of a pub named after President Wilson, but beerhouses not fully-licensed were not given names in the directories until the 1930s.
In the second place, I have found no Selina Wright to match with your census name, but there were wrights there ten years later.
In the 1869 directory, there were only a few few house numbers in Longmore Street, so it is difficult to pin the locations down, but Joseph Southam was already a beer retailer at what I think may have become 123 Longmore St.
1873: Frederick Wilkinson
1878: William Henry Winfield
1890: Alfred Benjamin Parsonage, beer retailer
1892: Henry Chinn, beer retailer
1895: George Walter Hall, beer retailer
1897: Mrs Elizabeth Wright, beer retailer
1899 Kelly's: Mrs Elizabeth Wright, beer retailer
Until this year, Longmore Street ran from Goodge Street, on the bridge over the River Rea which formerly marked the boundary between Birmingham and the old Parish of Balsall Heath, and ran across Belgrave Road to Balsall Heath Road, and the properties were numbered consecutively - starting at 1 after the bridge on the SW side running down the same side to Balsall Heath Road, then crossing over and returning on the east side to the bridge. No 123 was on the east side, roughly half way between Highgate Street and Conybere Street. But the 1900 directory, the part of Longmore Street between the bridge and Belgrave Road was renamed Gooch Street, and the houses also renumbered alternately on the whole length of the lengthened Gooch Street, so that Elizabeth Wright's address became 288 Gooch Street without her doing anything at all, certainly not moving house. The directories continue:
1900 Kelly's: Mrs Elizabeth Wright, beer retailer
1904: John Wright, beer retailer
1908: Arthur Edward Hunt, beer retailer
1913: Thomas Dodd, beer retailer
1921: James Watson, beer retailer
But by 1931, the adddress was a sub-post office, under Miss Marion E Flavell, sub-postmistress.
That's kept me going for an hour or two. Hope it is of interest to you.
Peter

Oh my...at last....someone has managed to help. Just one thing Peter, in your reply you mentioned the pub as being The President Wilson, when in fact it is The President Lincoln, im not sure if this will matter much.
Living at the pub were,

Henry Chinn...........head.........34......Plumbers brass founder
Robert Wright.........nephew.....28......electroplater
Selina Wright..........niece........23......licensed victualler
George R Wright......nephew.....2mths.
Catherine Bolt.........servant.....25......domestic general servant

You mentioned Henry Chinn in your reply.....he was Selinas uncle...maybe Elizabeth was related too. Now if i can only get a pic of the area.
Many thanks for your help Peter.
Oh by the way....i would have posted a pic of the census, but i'm not sure if you're allowed to.
Thanks Peter,
Tracey

I seemed to have missed this thread when it first appeared. The attached picture showing 288 Gooch st in about 1970 , shortly before demolition, may be of interest to you . From the look of it i would say its the same building, though obviously altered
mike

2A__Gooch_St.jpg

Oh my...at last....someone has managed to help. Just one thing Peter, in your reply you mentioned the pub as being The President Wilson, when in fact it is The President Lincoln, im not sure if this will matter much.
Living at the pub were,

Henry Chinn...........head.........34......Plumbers brass founder
Robert Wright.........nephew.....28......electroplater
Selina Wright..........niece........23......licensed victualler
George R Wright......nephew.....2mths.
Catherine Bolt.........servant.....25......domestic general servant

You mentioned Henry Chinn in your reply.....he was Selinas uncle...maybe Elizabeth was related too. Now if i can only get a pic of the area.
Many thanks for your help Peter.
Oh by the way....i would have posted a pic of the census, but i'm not sure if you're allowed to.
Thanks Peter,
Tracey

Just to put the record straight (obsessive? Moi?) the servant is Catherine Lavinia Bott, daughter of a respectable glass engraver; a complex woman who liked pubs and barmen rather more than was good for her.

Back