• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

The Old Contemptibles, Edmund St and Livery St

Peter Walker

gone but not forgotten
Today I went in this place for the first time since it was recently refurbished. I think they've done a wonderful job, as it had got rather seedy over the last few years - though it was handy for Snow Hill Station, and they were selling Banks's at about £1.25 a pint in the afternoons.

I'm proposing to use this place as a starting point for a charter trip on a vintage Corporation bus to the Motor Transport Museum at Wythall and back on 5 July this year - proceeds to this website - subject to negotiations. Details wil be posted in due course, but you may want to pencil in the date.
Peter

Great improvement on what it was. I popped in there with the my missus at the weekend for a swift half. Prices seem reasonable and it was quiet enough for us to sit and chat. No techno music and near enough to town for us to walk. Might try the food next time as they do the widest range of sausages l've seen for a long time.;)

livery street

anyone out there here of the saying when you were looking glum,
you,ve got a face as long as livery street ?
i suppose we all should have looked like that for a lot
of the time if you looked back,living in a back to back
shareing a toilet no hot water no bath apart from the
trusty tin bath once a week weather you needed on or not
mom i don,t like me hair washed bo ho.
how did we manage (not)
servival of the fittest thats how (happy days)
regards dereklcg..:cool:

Livery Street

When I worked at Lucas GHSt in the late sixties I use to walk the full lenght of Livery Street into town to catch the bus home to Stirchley. Then they started building the Queensway which split it in two.
Sometimes I would drop in the Old Contemptibles as it was just before you reached Colmore Row, nice pub.

We've probably had some photos on before but here are some I took on my phone last summer - quality not brilliant!. I agree with Peter, it's a good one to visit. Last time I was genealoging in the library I went there for a bite and a pint:)

see post #13 for photos.

I popped in last Sunday 17th Jan. I was impressed apart from being charged £3 15p for a pint of Stella.

hi all
what great photos I love anything connected to those great blocks of the first war and the decor looks fantastic, never came across it though when I lived in Brum
paul

Robert, I know what you mean, but you deserve that going for the Stella rather than one of the guest Real Ales! Last week I'm sure I paid £2.75 for a one of the guest ales.

I know David I know. Problem is im not a real ale drinker, perhaps i need help from frohtie and templer. Never the less it is a nice pub. Just changeing pubs for a moment . The Hobs Meadow (Viking) Ulleries rd Solihull has had a banner hangiing outside saying massive price cuts. Last summers price for Stella was £2.80, todays new price £2.85. To be fair they were offering Fosters, Brew 11 and Ansells mild @ £2.25 a pint.

Robert, I used to go there as a teenager (late!) in the early 60s to listen to bands. I remember a VERY nice lady who I was able to give a lift home to.......but that's not for a family forum;)

Hello - long-term local history enthusiast but brand new poster here.

I know the Old Contemptibles has a ballroom upstairs, currently in a derelict state. Presumably this is a legacy of the days of the Albion Hotel - and various rumours I've heard over the years include references to a sprung dancefloor and proscenium arch.

I would love to find out a bit more about the Albion's / Old Contemptibles' Ballroom and the sort of things that used to go on there - does anyone here have any memories of the venue they would care to share? Or perhaps even photographs?

I look forward to finding out a little more about this intriguing venue!

Many thanks,

Dr. W.

Thanks for those, David... if I ever manage to get into the ballroom and take some photos up there, I'll see if they're happy for me to post them on here for all!

Back