• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

the Moseley Tram Depot

The stock and infrastructure of the remaining tramways in this country was sorely in need of replacement after the damage and lack of maintenance during WW2 that abandonment and replacement with diesel buses was often the most economical answer. Had it not been for the war, tramways would have been replaced or renewed as necessary following existing plans - some lines actually survived longer because of the war. Trolleybuses, powered by electricity drawn from overhead wires, had a brief comeback in the 1950s, but in most cases because the hidden infrastructure (overhead wires, underground power feeder cables, power substations etc) dated from the 30s when they had replaced trams anyway. Towns and cities needed reliable economic public transport systems and once power generation was removed from local ownership, the commercial rate of the fuel was an added burden. Sadly the planners of the day were not concerned with (or probably even aware of) the future need for cleaner air, nor did they realise the damage private car ownership would do to the transport undertakings. Fares today exceeding a pound are the norm, but only because public transport is not the main travel provider, the private car is. And because most transport companies are privately owned, and in business to make profits for their shareholders.

That's quite correct Lloyd but it is still a shame that more has'nt been done in the past few years as some city's i.e. Manchester for example have managed to create the infrastructure for future tram enhancement. I don't know if you are aware of the controversy about Cambridge's "Guided Bus-way" where there has been arguments about its cost some 115millions and delays, and for destroying the original permanent way railway track (part of the old track from Oxford / Cambridge cross country route axed in the Beeching cuts this track joined Bedford to Cambridge. The argument being that either reopening as a rail service or tramway but the powers to be opted for a bus-way. paul

Just one other thing I forgot to say is that I am forever extolling the virtues of the old Birmingham City Bus's with so many routes and service night and day to anyone who will listen. The system was cheap to travel on and you could literally get anywhere within the Cosmopoliton Birmingham area some 30 odd square miles years ago the best I ever experienced then "Thatcher" privatised, and did away with the government body which oversaw public transport, and hence the costly chaos we have to-day. paul

Those are very sad photos. Where do these come from? So many of you seem to have great photos! Are htey personal or is there a collection somewhere?

K

These Moseley Road Depot staff joined the Royal Warks in WW1 and left for France in March 1915. Viv.

D45D985B-415A-4CD7-BE61-1E4D5D1277F7.jpeg

Source: British Newspaper Archive

What a fine body of men they look too!!, I was a lad in the ACF Royal Warwick's, and learned all their glorious history, made me very proud to wear the badge, even at 13...

Back