• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

The Mighty Maglev re-appears...

I hope the winning bid was genuine, I see it's come down from the £26,100 and £25,800 it was a few days ago. Just wonder if the price was pushed up by a 'bidder' who then withdrew from the auction, and wasn't genuine in the first place. Very disappointing for the charities, and extremely bad game if so.

Well spotted Lloyd - that must have been an expensive mistake for someone. Let's hope they get genuine bidders this time

I presume ebay has the same rules as a normal auction. When the hammer falls a contract is made so I would like to see the "winning bidder" sued for breach of contract. I hope the eventuial purchaser is someone who will preserve it becaus it is probably worth £100 for scrap.

This brings back memories, on my first visit to Birmingham in the early 1990's I remember travelling on the Maglev but knew nothing of it's history until reading this thread. I really hope it hasn't gone for scrap as £100 is probably less that it's actual scrap value. Shame on the original bidder!

It's so sad: not just the probable loss of the historic Maglev car, but the original auction was to raise funds for charity (see early posts). :cry:

Last edited:
I drive past it every day :eek:( it is looking ever more forlorn and isolated with all the building work around it. I am afraid it is looking like it will just be scrapped :-(

I am so gutted that some museum (and I did try a few) couldnt have just taken it and stored it somewhere even if only to save it!

Saw it this morning and really is looking forlorn surrounded by all the building materials, I wonder if the new Hotel could incorporate it in the grounds, they are digging some big holes and I wondered if they are going to bury it:),

I don't know what finally happened to the Maglev sold on ebay but I have have come across some photos I took in 1992 at Wroughton, Wilts where the Science Museum keep some of their stock. These show a prototype Maglev in British Rail livery and a section of Maglev track. These were stored out of doors so I don't know what state they are in now if they are still there.

View attachment 68668 View attachment 68669

Nice to read what evenually happened to it. At least we know that it was bought by someone who appreciated it even if we do not know yet what will finally come of it.

Back