• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

The Lost Smiths

I forgot to mention that my cousin that I met in Birmingham recently had a picture of my Grandmother (Lucy Smith) along with her daughter and we believe the lad with the cap is my father George Joseph Smith (born 1912). We also believe it would have been taken at the rear of 27 Montgomery Street
Bob

Thats a great picture Bob !!
I believe this one of my Nan and Grandad was taken at 63 and also the one of my Grandad. Looks like Cafe nets were in fashion at the time !! I believe it would have been around 1929/30
Lynne

I believe the attached photos were also taken at the back of 27 Montgomery Street, they are various Aunts, Uncles, Cousins and my Grandmother Lucy. They would all have been taken in the mid to late 1920's

Great photos !!!!! Thanks for sharing them....I've just had another look through my Nans album and i have more of the back of 63 than I thought !! I will have to scan them...it may take some time though as I have to very carefully prise them from their retaining holders.

what wonderful family photos..they are to be cherished as they can never be replaced..thank to all for sharing them with us..

lyn

Lindyloo,
Trick I have used with one of the original family albums was to scan the whole page at high resolution and then crop the scan down to individual images and 'save as' a different name, then repeat the process for each image. This means you don't have to extract them from the albums.
Bob

Thanks for the tip Bob, :) I have done that before with some of my own albums, (except for the High Res bit..?? I wouldn't have a clue how to do that).. but Nans photos are in a fan like arrangement, so they are at all sorts of angles and some parts of the photos are covered up by the overlapping photos. My editing skills are limited unfortunately and I don't think I would be able to straighten them up enough to look decent...but thanks for suggesting it.

Please don't spoil the photos by trying to separate them.

It is really sad that the photo's I have posted are virtually all the one's I have of my fathers side of the family, I believe any they had were lost in the bombing.

From my mother's side I have hundreds, in boxes, albums and I have been tasked with scanning them all. The attached is not taken in Birmingham (actually Hammersmith, London) but it is really rather nice. Note the wind has moved the hem of my nan's dress during the long exposure.

Bob

They won't spoil Bob as they are not stuck down, fortunately..!! They are held in place by the old fashioned paper circles with slits in, but they tend to be very flimsy and it is these that I don't want to damage, so I will be careful.
It is sad not to have many photos, but maybe you will be lucky like I have been and gain photos from other relatives as you did from your cousin. Over the years I have amassed quite a collection and they are all so special to me..I really do hope you come across more in the future.
I was looking through a book on Small Heath today and had to do a double take at one picture, because I thought it was your Lucy, but on looking again I didnt think it was. I will fire up the scanner tomorrow and show you.
That is a lovely photo, but I would not have spotted the dress movement had you not pointed it out.
Lynne

Back