• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

The Lost Birmingham Canal Stop Lock

Heartland

master brummie
There was a stop lock on the Dudley Canal at Selly Oak with cottage alongside, but that section was eventually abandoned once the traffic to the brickworks ceased. The part through Lapal Tunnel had ended finally in 1917, but the detached section at the Selly Oak lasted longer.

Much of the canal nearest the canal junction was lost with the making of the new supermarket across the route and the Lapal Trust are now actively engaged with a diversion canal through what was the former battery works site.

This ariel view from 1920 (Britain from Above, EPW 1119 show the Battery Works (bottom right) the stop lock is hidden by the buildings, but the pound leading up to the junction can be clearly seen.

selly oak 8 epw1119 1920.png

This view also shows the extensive Ariel Works, centre left, less evident is the course of Bourn Brook which flowed behind them and completely lost is the mill stream that served a water mill beside the Bristol Road. The tall embankment of both the Worcester and Birmingham Canal and the later West Suburban Railway are clearly seen, as is the original West Suburban single track railway bridge.

The tithe map for Northfield shows the location of the stop lock and house.

213812.jpg

Interesting stuff! When I was an engineering apprentice at Pressed Steel Fishers on Kingsbury Road, we had our own barge which was moored under the bridge on Kingsbury Road, adjacent to our apprentice building, (which I believe was on the original site of the Ashold Farm). Our building was replaced with a multi-cinema some years later, which I understand, has also now gone in recent years.

It was the norm for us apprentices to take the barge out lunch time and at any time we could arrange to and travel the Birmingham Fazeley Canal in either direction, towards the city or out towards Minworth. It had a Leyland Commodore 6 cylinder diesel engine at that time. I sometimes still wonder what ever happened to it. There was just something calming about ambling along those canals.

I also always remember as a kid sitting on the #65 bus, traveling back to Erdington after visiting our grand parents in Aston, looking down from the upper deck to the canal as we crossed Salford Bridge to turn left onto Slade Road. There were 2 sunken barges just in view, that must have made navigating past a bit of fun. I think that was the Tame Valley Canal, but its been so long now....! It would be interesting to see what it looks like nowadays.

Royal Society of Artists, Spring Exhibition April 1891.

Canal Lock, Selly Oak.

Mr. Burt evidences that his sentsitiveness to natural beauty and his power of eye and hand remain unimpaired.

IMG_1952.jpeg

Interesting stuff! When I was an engineering apprentice at Pressed Steel Fishers on Kingsbury Road, we had our own barge which was moored under the bridge on Kingsbury Road, adjacent to our apprentice building, (which I believe was on the original site of the Ashold Farm). Our building was replaced with a multi-cinema some years later, which I understand, has also now gone in recent years.

It was the norm for us apprentices to take the barge out lunch time and at any time we could arrange to and travel the Birmingham Fazeley Canal in either direction, towards the city or out towards Minworth. It had a Leyland Commodore 6 cylinder diesel engine at that time. I sometimes still wonder what ever happened to it. There was just something calming about ambling along those canals.

I also always remember as a kid sitting on the #65 bus, traveling back to Erdington after visiting our grand parents in Aston, looking down from the upper deck to the canal as we crossed Salford Bridge to turn left onto Slade Road. There were 2 sunken barges just in view, that must have made navigating past a bit of fun. I think that was the Tame Valley Canal, but its been so long now....! It would be interesting to see what it looks like nowadays.
Must have been a thrill to take the barge out at lunch time as an apprentice! I think your description of the area is close. My grand parents were also in Aston we would visit them then go to Salford Park (reservoir) then take the bus/tram back to Handsworth, always from the upper deck!

Back