• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

The Gardens Fentham Road Erdington

Russell Sims

I am a teacher at Kingsbury Training Centre and would like any accounts of life in The Gardens over the last century , especially regarding the Aston Union Cottages.

Russell,put Erdington Cottage homes into the search and you will find plenty of anecdotes.

yes I was there from 6 months old until I was about 13 . I am now 62. .I was in home 14 and would like to know the the name of the house which I don't remember .will get back soon. KINGSMEN. Hi ack after all this time , Well I remember MIss Percy the Matron ( very strict) also Miss Hammonda very nice lady, (Her Assistant) when it was time to leave I did not want to leave but I was perswaded it was a better life outside.How right they were.However I enjoyed many times there. Must Go for Now. KINGSMEN ?

yes I was there from 6 months old until I was about 13 . I am now 62. .I was in home 14 and would like to know the the name of the house which I don't remember .will get back soon. KINGSMEN. Hi ack after all this time , Well I remember MIss Percy the Matron ( very strict) also Miss Hammonda very nice lady, (Her Assistant) when it was time to leave I did not want to leave but I was perswaded it was a better life outside.How right they were.However I enjoyed many times there. Must Go for Now. KINGSMEN ?

I wondered if anyone had any informaton of The Gardens Fentham Road in 1978-1982 what were the house parents names or the teachers and the vicar there at the time? Thanks squizz:)

Hi Squizz: If you go to this website there is some information posted a couple of years ago by a lady who was living at the Erdington Cottage Homes some years ago. There are details there about a booklet written about the place. This lady has a contact e-mail listed which might still be active and you could e-mail her:
https://boards.ancestry.myfamily.com/surnames.erdington/1.1/mb.ashx

Hi Squizz some time ago you sent me this information and I have been able to contact Roseleen who has been most helpful about The Gardens booklet it is very interisting ,and I have you to Thank You. Kingsmen

Hi Jennyann, thanks for giving me the details of Roseleen. She was kind enough to send me a form to apply for my records. I have already been to the library and they only hold records up to 1960, I am looking for 1970-1980.

Thanks again

Squizz

Hi, I am still looking for any information for 1970-1980 times at the Aston Cottage homes and I would welcome a reply from anyone that lived there at this time or has any information for me about the homes

Thanks
Squizz:)

Hi Kingsmen, Jennyann sent the info to me, glad it helped. From looking at Aston Cottage Homes on the site it appears that home 14 was called Beechcroft. You can also got to Birmingham Library for any records if they have them for you, I am looking for 1970-1980 records but they do not have these but I know they have the time you are looking for there.

Squizz

There is a new book on Erdington Cottage Homes - The Children of the Homes: a century of Erdington Cottage Homes. It is a complete history of the Homes plus people's memories of living there between the 1930s and the 1980s.

It can be found on Amazon but the postage is cheaper from the Children's Cottage Homes website: www.childrenscottagehomes.org.uk/bookshop

Attachments

• high qual cover for flyer.jpg
    high qual cover for flyer.jpg
    261.8 KB · Views: 3
Back