• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

The Court Oak Harborne.

rere

Ancient Brummie
I am curious about the name and building of the Court Oak pub on Court Oak road in Harborne.
Firstly- I wonder if anyone has any information as to whether the ground or near ground of the premises was a local court spot where people were maybe hung from the grand oak?
Secondly- In the beer garden at the back, if you look at the upstairs of the building you will see some unusual features. There are 2 floors but there seems to be a 3rd floor on part of a tower. The tower is an extra bit of building that I assume is a staircase that leads up stairs, but it continues up like a wide block chimney and has a small slit window at the top. Does anyone know why and what it was for? Its been troubling me for years!!!

I worked at the Court Oak as an 18 year old bar man in 1975/76, before it was knocked about into a 1 room Goliath. It had a public bar, gents only bar, an outdoor where you could buy jugs of beer to take home, a smoking room, cocktail bar, lounge bar and a function suite, it hosted many huge drinkers and a faithful clientele of Harborne residents, the manager at the time was Dennis Cato and his wife. The gardens were spectacular, with loggia, pergola, rose beds and a sunken garden. It was a brilliant pub to work in, with great colleagues, Mark, who had half’s of mild hidden in every corner and was usually tipsy at cash up and June the best looking bar maid in Brum. Happy days!

I worked with a guy we called Junkie Jarvis at Metro Cammell in the 90s, he worked part time at the Court Oak at the same time. Nice chap, he could certainly knock back his beer. Lunchtimes from the Met he would go over the pub every day.
I would go over on a Friday with him, order the beers, and before I had payed the bar staff he finished the first one.
Had 3 or 4 in the lunch time and never appeared even slightly intoxicated.
Although nicknamed Junkie, I don't think he did drugs, smoked a lot though.
John was his real name. Anybody remember him from his days at the Court Oak.

Back