• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

The Cabin at Sheldon

M

Marshell50

Can anyone tell me if this pub still exists? I am researching my family history and my Great Uncle (Leslie Bradley) and his wife were landlords during the 1960s and 1970s.
Look forward to hearing from anyone with info.
Cheers

The Cabin used to be on the corner of Sheldon Heath Rd. and the Radleys. It was knocked down and replaced by another pub, the Mazzapa or something like that. It's now called The Radley Arms. When it was the Mazzapa, my family (also Bradleys) used to drink in there.

Ann

Anne maybe your related. I visited the Duke of York pub just outside Bewdley and the landlords sir name was Lyndon. Years ago there were not many people by that name. I asked where he was born and it was two roads away in aston. Going to start my family tree. My cousin has done it on the Taplin side [moms dad] with help from Alberta. Bye. Jean.

Marshell,

Here is a photo of The Cabin. It was built in the 1950's.

Jean you may be interested too, as it's next door to where your son worked. Good luck with your family tree Jean.

Attachments

• Garretts Green The Cabin Sheldon .jpg
    Garretts Green The Cabin Sheldon .jpg
    200.4 KB · Views: 91
Last edited by a moderator:
Marshell50, I moved in to Brays Rd in 1956 and i used the outdoor dept of the Cabin, but not the inside bar or bars?, as you can see from Ann`s posting there was a steep slope to the entrance, it was built more like a Shack than a Cabin!, the brick built pub which replaced it was called The Mazeppa, i thought the Russians had invaded!!, Mazeppa was a legendary Cossack leader and a poem telling of life was made into an opera. Len.

Thanks so much for the reply Ann. I didn't realise it had been demolished, mind you it wasn't a very interesting pub from the outside.

Quite a lot of my family worked for M&B. Does anyone remember the off-licence in Grantham Road, Smethwick, in the same road as Masons Pop Factory?

Marshell,

Jean you may be interested too, as it's next door to where your son worked. Good luck with your family tree Jean.
hi Ann the cabin looked a lot like the old meadway pub the top of the lea / kelynmead road,i lived up the rd in kelynmead just past fellmeadow rd..
we used to think we were on the wall of death riding or bikes round that slope at the cabin. happy days regards dereklcg.
ps grt pic by the way.

Hi Derek,

I remember the Old Meadway Pub. Didn't they replace it with an Aldi, the same as they are doing with The Wagon & Horses on the Coventry Rd.? Here is a photo of The Meadway.
The second photograph. The junction of The Radleys, Church Rd. and Sheldon Heath in the 1930's, before The Cabin and all housing.

Ann

Attachments

• Yardley Junction Church Rd. Radleys,& Sheldon Heath 1930.jpg
    Yardley Junction Church Rd. Radleys,& Sheldon Heath 1930.jpg
    201.3 KB · Views: 46
  • Meadway The Lea Meadway.jpg
    Meadway The Lea Meadway.jpg
    199.9 KB · Views: 48
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Derek,

I remember the Old Meadway Pub. Didn't they replace it with an Aldi, the same as they are doing with The Wagon & Horses on the Coventry Rd.? Here is a photo of The Meadway.
The second photograph. The junction of The Radleys, Church Rd. and Sheldon Heath in the 1930's, before The Cabin and all housing.

Ann
:cool:
Thanks for that Ann,takes me back the photo,it was taken from church rd
looking down the meadway,you can see top right the garage i worked at in sheldon heath rd,the gulf garage.
the meadway pub was mk two thats now an aldi or whatever it is now mariew will know she still lives down the rd.
the old one used to be in kelnmead rd and it was almost the same as the cabin,i,ve just had a flash back jack walker was the guvnor,then they knocked it down. it was late 50s early 60s when we moved due to slum clearence from nechells. we used to walk across the field as a short cut to the poolway way back when. catch you later regards derek.

re the cabin

hello, i met and worked with a brilliant pianist by the name of Pete (sorry i cant remember his surname) at the cabin inthe early 60's and we worked together for three years and then he went to live in Burntwood. i was his drummer.

shardeen

thanks ann b i found the photo to every one on this post The Cabinor Radley arms as it is now called is closing to-night. might have already closed if the ber has dried up.

Thanks Ann I didn't know it was closing tonight. There'll be no pubs left in Sheldon soon.

Ann

annb
yes its going to-night can,t see it opening up again most probably be knocked down and built on,some developer has bought part of the park and from what i heard part of the back carpark of the pub and also the council offices. I dont suppose many people will miss the pub. The people who run it don,t seem interested in getting custom if your face doesn,t fit youv,e had it. its been ages since we went in there.

My husband used to go in there about once a month to pay his lottery, but he said there was hardley anyone in there. its a shame really that all the pubs are closing, its the same as the shopping centres, the Radleys is naff now same as lea village, i stopped in the village about 2 weeks ago boy has it changed theres hardley any food shops now couple of small supermarkets and a butchers the rest is either take aways or rubbish shops, the shops and a pub were the heart of the community at one time,
ann

I was in the cabin one night and thes blokes came and took all the one arm bandits out of the pub the police came and said" anybody see anything " we all said "NO" Lol.. Rough place with Drugs etc........

Pip FOM 302 SHELDON HEATH RD IN THEM DAYS

Can anyone tell me if this pub still exists? I am researching my family history and my Great Uncle (Leslie Bradley) and his wife were landlords during the 1960s and 1970s.
Look forward to hearing from anyone with info.
Cheers
Hi my Aunty and Uncle had the pub around 1977 Sheila and Gerry Hughes. Im not to clear on the dates as my mom Iris Sheilas sister worked behind the bar and as a young boy of 12 had a fantastic time playing in the pub, i remember one of the rooms had a stage regards Instruct

Hi all,

I remember the Cabin ,, my Uncle used to drink in there , also the supermarket built on the site of the old Mackadown is "LIddle" , does anyone remember the Chestnuts (opposite Garretts Green College) .. it is still there but for how long ? sadly most pubs seem to fall victim to housing developments or supermarket chains. I only hope that the White Hart doesn't fall victim to either above groups... It may be a listed building but anything can happen these days !

Marshell,

That pic is just as I remember the Cabin, obviously taken from the Radleys end, looking down Sheldon Heath Rd.The Chestnuts at the far end of S/Heath RD, ,but opposite police station..on the same side of the road (right as you view the pic) was as I believe to be the first ever Comprehensive School built in this country, same name as the Rd..I was part of the second in take of students, left in 64..
Remember as kids taking the beer bottles to and from between
The Cabin and Chestnuts.:rolleyes::rolleyes:
"Honest me Dad set 'em" tuppence return on a bottle!! What !
Delisha chippy/cafe on the corner of Brays Rd and S/Heath rd..
Bag A Chips an' fish bits...Still taste 'em...:D
From the Radleys turn left into Church Rd , was Jackson and Tews..
Green grocers..first ever job..sit up an' beg bike with cradle, delivering
the orders...It were a pig of a ride up Brays Rd towards and onto the
Cov Rd, with 3,4 or 5 orders to carry, Great memories...an' all for a few bob.......Bye for now Paul....

and there was the king of bohemia, if i remember, by the old driving test centre, i think on comberton road, never went in it

Back