• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

The Bulls Head, Pritchett Street

Oh thanks for that wales what a relief, I thought it was unusual for my hubby to get things wrong when pubs are the subject, he's back in my good books again.

I went for a pint in the Bulls Head, early 90s i reckon. I can remember a row of flip down, flip up cinema seats along one wall. There was also a frame on the wall, displaying a 'family tree' of all the pubs landlords through the years. A real shame if it's all gone.

Gary i used to pop in The Bull from time to time,and them tip up seats reportedly came from the Aston Hippodrome,there was also an old fashioned clock in the sought they used in the factory:)Mossy

gary the bulls head is still there. well the building is its some sort of warehouse now. how interesting that they used to have a tree of past landlords. such a shame its no longer a pub. mossy thanks for that bit of info regarding the seats. very interesting. wales.

Hello all, came across this thread by chance - looking for info on Pritchett St;
I have an ancestor who according to the B'ham City Archives had a 196 year lease on a property there...
"Lease for 196 years. MS 831/152 Date: 20 June 1815

Contents: Parties: John Lorton of Aston, gun finisher, and Stephen Hill of Birmingham, bayonet maker. Property: Land in Pritchett St. Aston."

I know it's more than likely not the pub, but was there any sort of metal workshop / factory there as well?

The 1815 directory listed one peerson with no trade (presumably a private house), a victualler (publican) and a plater. the 1818 directory listed one private person and a button maker. No Lorton or Hill, but industry did go on in the street.

My grandfather - Thomas Onions - was a landlord of the Bulls Head 1925 - 1931. I would like more information about it - and what the area was like at that time. My grandparents seemed quite well off at the time as my mother was sent to dance classes etc. (where ?).

Somewhere I have a picture of my grandfather outside the pub...

Has anyone a photo of this pub, my grandad is listed as living there as a lodger aged 14 on the 1891 census with Joseph and Catherine Jones and their grand daughter Maud not sure whether her surname is Horton or Jones.

I know this post is old, but today I was looking up the Bulls Head on Pritchett St because my great-great grandparents Joseph & Catherine (Chiswell) Jones were proprietors in the 1890's. So- probably you know by now, Sylvia, but Maud was Maud Kate HORTON, she was the daughter of Emma Jones, daughter of Joseph & Catherine Jones. Her sister Mary Ann was my grandfather's mother.

Anyway - Emma married William John Horton after his first wife (Mary Ann Raybould) died, and Albert Horton was his son with Mary Ann Raybould. Hence - listed as only a "lodger" when he and his half-sister Maud were with the Jones. It would perhaps have been more generous to include him as step-grandchild but who knows? In any case, William Horton d. 1888 and Emma remarried a guy named Thomas Vann in 1889. Then - she and her new husband and new child (Eliza Vann) were listed in the 1891 census living together while the Horton kids were with her parents. Not clear what was going on there, but I can invent some stories. Anyway, then Thomas Vann died in 1899 (she was a bit of a black widow, actually), and Maud is back with her in 1901 (15 years old). I have a lot of info on this family if you're interested... best, embee

Hello all, came across this thread by chance - looking for info on Pritchett St;
I have an ancestor who according to the B'ham City Archives had a 196 year lease on a property there...
"Lease for 196 years. MS 831/152 Date: 20 June 1815

Contents: Parties: John Lorton of Aston, gun finisher, and Stephen Hill of Birmingham, bayonet maker. Property: Land in Pritchett St. Aston."

I know it's more than likely not the pub, but was there any sort of metal workshop / factory there as well?

Hi had family living in Pritchett st name of Frederick & Florence Rigby

I've come to this thread more than a bit late, but I may be able to pull a couple of strands together.
The John Lorton, gun finisher, that Negritaspider refers to in post #56 is very probably the John Lorton who lived from 1778 to 1823 and whose son Edward was also a gun finisher.
Edward lived from 1806 to 1880, and his daughter Sarah married a gunsmith called Joseph Arch, living in Summer Lane. The younger of their two sons, Frank, became a silversmith before switching to running a pub when the jewellery business took a bad knock on the outbreak of the First World War.
Frank, who was my grandfather, ran a number of pubs, the last and longest being the Bulls Head in Blews Street, which he ran from about 1935 to the late 1940s - which is more or less where this thread started.
Small world!

Back