• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

The Bulls Head, Pritchett Street

sylviasayers

master brummie
Has anyone a photo of this pub, my grandad is listed as living there as a lodger aged 14 on the 1891 census with Joseph and Catherine Jones and their grand daughter Maud not sure whether her surname is Horton or Jones.

I have had a look through my books but cannot find a photo of this pub, but my husband said that the building is still there but is no longer used as a pub.

Thanks for looking Mariew, I might go and have a look at the premises and take a photo, I went in that pub once about 50 years ago, but at the time didn't know of any family connection.

hi sylvia. just read your post. i also had family living in pritchett street in 1901. moseleys were their name. they lived at number 19. did you know there were 4 other pubs in pritchett st apart from the bulls head. they were the bricklayers arms. queen arms. sir robert peel and the wellington inn. crikey what a lot for one street. i am on the trail now for any photos of these pubs. if i get any i will let you know. wales.

Has anyone a photo of this pub, my grandad is listed as living there as a lodger aged 14 on the 1891 census with Joseph and Catherine Jones and their grand daughter Maud not sure whether her surname is Horton or Jones.

I have this very poor photo of the Bulls Head at 111 Prichett St/ Blews St, Newtown. I believe it is still there today but now goes by the name of The Brief Encounter. Who decides on these name changes? Who decides that "I am just popping down to the Brief dear"sounds better than "I am just popping down the Bull dear"?

Phil
Lost photo replaced

NewtownBullsHeadPritchardSt.jpg
Newtown Bulls Head Pritchard St.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks for that pmc. i agree. why cant they just leave the names as they have always been. also who decides to pull down our history. i think the powers that be have just clocked on that if we dont preserve some of our buildings we will be left with nowt. anyway the bull(thats what i shall call it) has a preservation order. will get off me soap box now. wales

hi dave. what about the duke of york aston road pritchett st. dont get yer drift. confused.com. :) must be having a senior moment. wales

Hello again,
Maybe its me but if the Duke of York is in Pritchett St doest that make 5 pubs not 4?
Are we talking about the same street? I think so - it ran from Aston Road to Newtown Row (maybe further) crossing Blews St on its way.

hi dave. i didnt know thre was a duke of york in pritchett street. will check me book and get back to you.

hi dave. back again. just had a butchers and there was a duke of york at 213 aston road. in 1956 it was ran by a william h. piper. the only other one was at the top of key hill and that collapsed last year.

hi dave. just found another pub that was in pritchett st. the royal oak. wales.

hi all. just to say sorry about giving you all wrong info on the pubs that were in pritchett street. the only pub that was in that street was indeed the bulls head. unfortunately i was given misleading info and will not be using that source again. wales

Phil many thanks for posting the picture of The Bulls Head, I have printed a copy for my family history files.

Wales, I didn't know it was a listed building, will definitely have to have "A Brief Encounter" with it now.

Dave Bath, just looked in my old street guide, Pritchett Street ran from 109 New Town Row through to Aston Road.

Thanks to everyone who has replied.

hi sylvia. just realised we both had relatives living in both new john st and pritchett st. im going down to see mom and dad on monday. think i will get off 1 stop before i usually do and have my brief encounter. all the best wales.

I Also Remember The Pub As WeWere Brought Up Along There
We Lived Along The Lichfield Rd By Thompsons The Butchers
My OldMan Used Do Relief There , Also All The Other Pubs Along On The Aston Cross
And The One On The Corner By H,P, Sauce I Used To Wait For Him To Finish
He Always Gave Me A Packet Of Smiths Crisp With The Little Blue Bag Inside
When He Came Out , By The Thanks For The Pic ,And The Memory , ASTONIAN ,;;

hi. all. especially slyvia. as i said in my previous post i had the bulls head Pritchett st/blews street down as a listed building so i went down there this morning to take some pics to put on the site. some listed building. its not there. went to see dad after. he has lived round there all his life. he is nearly 80. he said its been gone a long time and he cant remember it being called anything but the bulls head. but like he said he cant be 100% certain on that. so theres another pub gone. guess we will have to keep searching for more pics of it. wales.

hi mariew. please dont slap him. ive got to the bottom of the bulls head now. my brother is here and hes another history nut so hes put me right. right here goes. the building is still there. as i was walking towards it this morning i thought it was the right shape for a pub. what threw me is it is now a factory. as already said it changed its name from the bull to the brief encounter and was turned into a gay bar. that didnt take off (im not surprised being in the middle of newtown) then it went back to the bulls head for a while. then closed for good. my brother knows someone who has a photo of the oringinal pub so i have asked him get me a copy like i can put it on for you all. sorry sylvia you still cant go for a drink in it but at least the building is still there and as i said it is a grade c listed building. sorry for any confussion but at least we got to the bottom of it. :) wales.

Back