• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

The Australian Bar

Was it always called the Australian bar?
I notice on that pic there is no pub name up on the building,quite strange.

I believe it has strong Aussie connection and is named The Walkabout if its still open. Len.

I Thought the Ausrtalian bar was closed ..even after it was renamed its been a while since I was that way so I may be wrong :rolleyes:

youre quite right
the walk about was on broad street
and i beleive afew years ago the one in hurst st
which was known as the australian bar as changed there name again
and previously it was named differently
but the name elludes me at the moment as it early in the moning for me as i have just got up
but i will recall it before the day is over
and the picture on thread is the one in hurst street
i remember when theu renamed and called it and called it the australian bar
its nice to see postie is back in and up and running the thread
have a nice day every body and enjoy our wonderful site
the best one around in brum
astonian;;;;;;;;;

I'm sure it had another name before "Australian Bar", but can't remember where I saw the reference.
It's "Missing" now, complete with some continental-style outside seating.

The 1925 electoral roll has the premises (48 Bromsgrove Street) as "Australian Palace", Alfred John Rothwell, Catherine Rothwell and John Lee in occupation. (They were there in 1920, and a John Rothwell in 1912 but there is no mention of the name.)
The 1911 Census has Alfred John and Catherine Rothwell and their five daughters at 47 Bromsgrove Street, Alfred is a Licensed victualler and John Lees (sic), also resident, is a Barman.

Lloyd,I would have had no idea there was an Australian link to the name as far back as 1925.Thanks for the research.

Nor me! The building does not look all that old, possibly 20s-30s, perhaps it replaced an earlier 'beer house'.
I'm sure I saw a picture of it a while ago, with a different (more ordinary pub-type) name on, but can't remember where. Must be dreaming again!

"The Missing" is now a Gay Bar as part of the established Gay Quarter as Hurst Street is now known. Here it is again during tramway days.
The name Australian Bar was originally in the stained glass window (visible in Frothy's photo) above the corner entrance and I think it featured a Kangaroo.

Hey Mike

What do you mean "Missing" is now a gay bar, it always has been as far back as I can remember even before being gay became legal.

Phil

I did some work in there in the early seventies when it was renovated the first time. We had to strip out some fittings and demolish some internal walls.

We did this while the bar remained open, have you ever tried demolishing a wall whilst keeping you back to it.

Phil

My great-grandparents (Thomas Henry Fowler and Annie nee Roper) ran The Australian Bar from 1932 to 1944.

Around the same time my grandfather (also Thomas Henry Fowler) was running first The Roebuck and later The Carpenters Arms (both nearby).

That's the limit of my knowledge, unfortunately.

The Roebuck on Darwin St, are you sure? I had heard it closed down way, way back...

My father already bristles when I tell him what happened to The Australian!

Found this picture online a few years back - the pub name was at least clear in this one....
Lost Photo replaced

AustralianBar_.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The Australian Bar 1970s / 1980s

29197106_10216013408313841_2602740513404616704_n.jpg
Lost photo replaced

Australian Bar 1970s or 80s.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Back