• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

The Ackerdocks

JohnJames

master brummie
The Ackers was a real alternative from Small Heath Park in the 1960s. No parkie. Ride your bike wherever you wanted to. And a swing over the cut. Great days. As well as riding our bikes over the tracks we had made up, we also laid around listening to our transistor radios. Whiter Shade of Pale, Waterloo Sunset, Light my Fire. Geat days. Any other memories of the Ackers during the 1960s out there?

The land between the Grand Union, River Cole, and the old Great Western Main Line through Small Heath in Birmingham is known as the 'Ackerdocks', subsequently shortened to rhe 'Ackers' by some latterday youth workers/community gurus.
it was the most wonderful adventure playground where you could dig into the Victorian (and later) spoil tips from Birmingham's Refuse boats from Montague Street, for treasures like old glass bottles, digspent bullets out of the B.S.A. test firing range, bounce up and down on the disused wharves like trampolines, .

there are a few posts about the acerdocks on this forum

I found a 1902 half crown there in 1968. It wasn't that worn. I didn't spend it but somehow lost it in my many house moves. I have always thought that this underveloped area between Small Heath and Hay Mills would be a great place for 19th century archeology people to dig around. Why was it never built on?

Back