• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Tascos Co-op

KJSScott

knowlegable brummie
I was born in Stirchley in 1953, and the shop that dominated was the Ten Acres & Stirchley Co Operative Society to give it its full title. It was an imposing building at the corners of the Pershore Rd and Umberslade Rd. It also had a Milk dairy just behind it.
They had a barbers in the basement and this is were my Mom use take me for a hair cut always short back and sides.
I can remember my Mom collected the "divi" some short of points system they used to get reduced prices, every one had a number they had to remember.
It was demolished, I think in the seventhies and replaced by the usual non discript building.
I have always thought Stirchley as a shopping centre declined when the old Co-op went.

https://flickr.com/photos/co-ophistory/sets/72157594372662134/

The above links are for the Ten Acres and Stirchley Co-ops. My connection to them was through John Wilson & Sons (Wholesale Grocers)Ltd, New John Street West. I worked there for a couple of years starting in l957.
TASCOS was one of their biggest customers and I believe they had one salesman that covered all their shops for orders. I always remember their logo
which was on the cheques that came in to pay for their orders.

Last edited by a moderator:
xxx~1.jpeg

By the early 1900s the Co-op was doing horse drawn funerals.

Hi stitcher
What a great photo, i wonder what street that was. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Stars

I have no idea whatsoever Stars, but it must be in the city somewhwere.
stitcher.

Last edited by a moderator:
The CO-OP Funeral Dept. was in Gt Brook St Ashted but I cannot recall this building.Dek

lll~0.jpeg

1393 Pershore Road Stirchley, I have no other information once again with this one but a friend tells me that if all the bread baked at these premises for one week was laid end to end it would stretch for about 11-12 miles. This makes me think that this must have been the company's main bakery before the large Co-op one at Stetchford opened.

Not sure if bread was baked on these premises as the TASCOS bakery was on the corner of Charlotte road and Maryvale road, always
used to have the delivery vans backed up for loading in the afternoon.The buildings are still there and there was a company called Rubberplas occupying most of the building.

just come accross 4 pics of tascos in stirchley including one of their central premises in hazellwell st...will scan and post later on..

ln

img096.jpg
Nothing with this one I am afraid so one of the better equipped members may be able to add a bit of info. A friends Mother who is 89 and still very alert but rather dodgy on her feet said if her memory is correct the Co-op was the first motorised Funeral Service and she vividly remembers the slogan' From The Cradle To The Grave'.
img102.jpg
This one is Coventry Road Small Heath early 1900s.

I used to have can't find it at the moment a oblong token which said on it Tascos would any-one know what they were used for thankyou.

Does anyone have information on "Casey Week" who/whom or what was "Casey" this a reference to a small Booklet November 10th to 18th 1928 in the Ten Acres & Stirchley Co-op Society Educational Department Winter Program 1928-29 Many Thanks

Hi Sticher and stars
Given the fact that tascos started in stircley and as the co/op
And they have roots of there business settled in and up and down the stirchley and cotteridge area
they never really ventured to far away in those early years,and looking at the loer end of pershore road
even today they really have not moved far away even thou they are spread across birminggham
but i will tell you that photograph was taken at the top end of pershore road out side there office
of under takers which is on the pershore road
I cannot say excactly the shop number but for those people whom know pershore road will probaly know
but the postion of the shop was a batch of houses and some shops that are just passed a pub
called the grant arms its just before you hit the railway bridge on pershore road with its advertising hoardings
the bridge i mean are up passing lifford lane as it climbs the hill
best wishes Astonian,,,,,

What was AUCE in the last image? There's a lot of it.
Is that an exclusively shopkeeper stance? Hands on hips....Viv.

Back