• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Sutton Park

oldMohawk, just noticed your post showing Banners Gate. I recently did some family history research for my son-in-law and it showed that there was a farm where St Columba's church is now which was part of Princess Alice Orphanage. A great uncle had been sent there together with his brother as their mother had been widowed whilst they were still young. She couldn't cope (or feed I expect) all the children and I think the girls were old enough to work. This would have been at the beginning of the 1900's.

The last time I remember people on Blackroot would have been in the mid 1970's (can't remember exact date).
I never skated on Blackroot but skated often on Wyndley and notice I had posted earlier #698 about falling through the ice ...:)
I never skated on Blackroot because the water looked deep. I skated several times on Wyndley Pool which wasn't so deep and one time when the ice gave way I was only in up to my chest in 3 foot of water and 1 foot of the blackest mud I'd ever seen. I think 6 others went through with me and after wringing out our clothes we stood, drinking 'hot Bovril' in front of an open fire in a cafe that used to be there. There are a few pics in the Ice Rink thread of skating on Wyndley Pool.

IMG_1706.jpg IMG_1707.jpg IMG_1709.jpg Not really Sutton Park, but many would travel to the Park by Train. There was terrible train crash in January 1955, and here are pictures from the Illustrated London News.

Attachments

• IMG_1710.jpg
    IMG_1710.jpg
    192.4 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_1712.jpg
    IMG_1712.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_1711.jpg
    IMG_1711.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 20
A Maypole Fete in the park and some nice dresses and hats worn by ladies in the watching crowd. Hopefully the girls knew exactly what they had to do because it probably became a little crowded as they closed in on the pole.
maypole.JPG

A Maypole Fete in the park and some nice dresses and hats worn by ladies in the watching crowd. Hopefully the girls knew exactly what they had to do because it probably became a little crowded as they closed in on the pole.
View attachment 113814
Where was Boldmere Girls School? My sister went to Boldmere Secondary however on Thursday about two weeks time Great Torrington in North Devon goes maze with Mayday celebrations which always starts with both boys and girls from the local primary school performing a Maypole dance in the town square ........after that it's off to the pubs.
Bob

What a great image! The ladies in the picture all appear to be members of the WRVS who were much involved in the eating arrangements. (My mother was one of them although I don't see her in this picture). The blokes all seem to have official boiler suits and berets too. I wonder what Service they belonged to.

Chris

I was there in in the late 1940s', but it must have been a Midland or County affair rather than the 1957 one which was a large affair:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/9th_World_Scout_Jamboree
The gentleman, walking looking at the ovens, looks very much like an RAF Warrant Officer - possibly in the Air Training Corps. The gentleman, with hands in pockets talking to the ladies is obviously an old soldier; he has a few ribbons to his name. I thought possibly Royal Observation Corps. Salvation Army, or but others may decipher his badge differently.

Saw Sutton Park from the plane window (Flybe) returning from Lyon to Birmingham on the afternoon of Friday 9th June 2017. (at least I think it's Sutton Park).

Saw Sutton Park from the plane window (Flybe) returning from Lyon to Birmingham on the afternoon of Friday 9th June 2017. (at least I think it's Sutton Park).
Your pics do show Sutton Park. In the first pic the railway track can be seen crossing under Thornhill Road and then across the park. Bracebridge Pool to the left of the track and Blackroot Pool just visible further on to the right.

Your pics do show Sutton Park. In the first pic the railway track can be seen crossing under Thornhill Road and then across the park. Bracebridge Pool to the left of the track and Blackroot Pool just visible further on to the right.
Indeed it is, it is just that the pic shows a different angle to a map.

Back