• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Surname of Killingworth (Great Brook street/ Lord street area 1930’s-onwards)

Nakishajordan

proper brummie kid
I am looking for any information or photos of Great Brook street or Nanson Road in the 1940’s through to the 1960’s

My grand mother Margaret Killingworth was born in 1944 in Lord Street and moved to great brook street when she was 5 and lived there till her late teens till she relocated to Stafford which is where our family have lived ever since
She Had mentioned she lived across from a Family called the Burks when she was a Teen and they used to listen to records together while sitting on the Wall,

She Also met My grandfather Albert Hambleton during her time at Great Brook street although I’m unsure where he lived although I know it was in the nechells area still but in a much poorer Area,

My grandmother described her home in Great Brook street to be large and seemed quite posh

She was one of 10 children …

Rita, Thalmia, Norma, Janet, Marion, Claire, Ronnie who also went by the name ( Albert Ronald Hodges) and Les,

Her parents were Francis Charles KillingWorth and Hilda May Jenkins

Unfortunately My Grandmother Passed last August (2022) and since then I’ve been inclined to learn more about her family,

Any if Information both big or small would be greatly appreciated

Many thanks in advance :)

Electoral rolls are available on Ancestry registration/subscription may be required. There are other sites - findmypast, familysearch etc - which have different records.

On the 1939 register, Francis and Hilda are listed at 4 back 88 Lord St.

In the 1950s (ERs) there are a Horace and Gladys Hambleton listed at 165 Heneage St, which is not far from Great Brook St. They had a son Albert (b 1942) amongst others.

Electoral rolls are available on Ancestry registration/subscription may be required. There are other sites - findmypast, familysearch etc - which have different records.

On the 1939 register, Francis and Hilda are listed at 4 back 88 Lord St.

In the 1950s (ERs) there are a Horace and Gladys Hambleton listed at 165 Heneage St, which is not from Great Brook St. They had a son Albert (b 1942) amongst others.
Yes! You’ve found the both!
Thank you so very much!!
Would you be able to tell me anything about the names of Gladys and Horace’s other children please?

This is honestly mind blowing! As my grandad never really spoke of his siblings unfortunately or anything much of his life in Birmingham prior to moving to Stafford to follow my nan Margaret

This is very very much appreciated!
My mom will be delighted by just this information alone!

Horace Albert Hambleton appears to have married twice - Fanny Loone (1922), Gladys A Randles (1927/28). Fanny died in 1926. Possible children...

Joyce E 1923 -
Horace B 1925 -
Florence E 1926 -

Joan H 1929 -
Lilian M 1930 - 1931
Myra R 1931 - 1931
John H 1932 - 1932
Dorothy F 1934
Ivy D 1935 - 1935
Beatrice M 1936 -
Rosina 1937 - 1937
George T 1938 -
Edith M 1939 - 1939
Leonard A 1941 - 1941
Albert 1942 -
Reginald R 1943 -

Horace Albert Hambleton appears to have married twice - Fanny Loone (1922), Gladys A Randles (1927/28). Fanny died in 1926. Possible children...

Joyce E 1923 -
Horace B 1925 -
Florence E 1926 -

Joan H 1929 -
Lilian M 1930 - 1931
Myra R 1931 - 1931
John H 1932 - 1932
Dorothy F 1934
Ivy D 1935 - 1935
Beatrice M 1936 -
Rosina 1937 - 1937
George T 1938 -
Edith M 1939 - 1939
Leonard A 1941 - 1941
Albert 1942 -
Reginald R 1943 -
Thank you very much!

There are a Frederick and Clarice Burke listed at 87 Great Brook St on the 1955 and 1960 ERs. Which as you can see on the map is opposite no. 56. Not sure if this is the correct family.

There are a Frederick and Clarice Burke listed at 87 Great Brook St on the 1955 and 1960 ERs. Which as you can see on the map is opposite no. 56. Not sure if this is the correct family.
Oh yes!
Wow!
Honestly finding these little things out brings me so much joy! And allows me to feel close to my nanny again! So thank you again!

• Appreciate
Reactions: MWS
Also is there any information you can find on Francis’s family at all? Or even Hilda’s I have downloaded an app called find my past to see what I can uncover myself also,

I also know that Hildas eldest child Ronnie potentially was born out of wedlock to another man but we aren’t 100% sure,

But as for Francis’s family we know absolute nothing Nan only said he was a Yorkshire man and had a strong accent and was very stern and quite, that he came from a wealthy family and that they were not happy with his choice to marry hilda which now knowing she had a child prior to meeting him would give me reason to why the family felt that way,

Many thanks

Francis Charles Killingworth was born 6 Sep 1904 in Nottingham, son of Francis Charles Killingworth and Florence Breffitt.

Elder Francis Charles Killingworth was a wheelwright, b1882 Nottingham, the son of George Killingworth and Mary Ann Webster (?).

George Killingworth was also a wheelwright, b1848 Emneth, Norfolk, the son of Robert Killinworth and Mary Gray (?)

Hilda's a little more tricky but I think she was born 22 July 1912 Small Heath Bham, the daughter of Leonard William Jenkins and Clara Price.

If correct then Leonard William Jenkins was born May 1880, the son of William Clarence Osker Jenkins and Maria Hoult.

Last edited:
Back