• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Sunday Afternoons

Sunday's in our house were mass at 11am, (later after I was 14 it was the army cadets for me), home normally a lamb dinner with rolly-poley pud cooked by dad, the best meal of the week, then billy cottens band show and I think it was dick tracy but not sure, tea was usually canned manderins or pears with carnation and salmon sandwiches if my nan came, then in the evening was " the london paladium" on the tv. up to bed by 9.30 or 10.
paul

Most of my Sundays were spent either in competitions or on duty with the St John Ambulance, at least from when I was 11. Before that, it was a quiet day following church in the morning, if I was at my great-aunts, there was high tea, with Kunzle cakes - this was moved to a Saturday though if we visited then!But always watched Songs of Praise on tv when it was on around 7p.m.
Fond memories though.

Some Sunday afternoons we would walk to see "Nana's garden" in Witton Cemetry. We always had to wear our best clothes and not talk loudly or run. It's odd how we recall the sunny days, but on those Sundays it always seemed to be overcast and bitterly cold. Later, the hot pikelets toasted over the fire made up for it.

lovely memories of sunday afternoons...much the same with me..dad would go for his pint or two at the vine at 12 oclock and be back at 2 for sunday dinner..then sunday school at 3 oclock followed by an ice cream off the van....happy days indeed..oh i almost forgot to say i took the pledge at sunday school not to to touch the drink:rolleyes: that didnt last long:D.

lyn

Last edited:
Re: How it used to be on Sunday

Because we already had a thread on this 'Topic' I have merged them both to make one thread. This way we will not get members reposting memories they have already posted, thus saving more web space for more 'New' threads and posts.

Re: How it used to be on Sunday

There was a very famous Tony Hancock radio show called "Sunday afternoon at home" about a boring Sunday afternoon.

All the shops closed, the pubs closed, nothing to do, nowhere to go......

You can hear it here on youtube in 3 parts

(seems to have been recorded off an LP / album so not great quality, and a few jumps).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ScV1U2xOJdM&feature=related

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31LIOVW_QY8&feature=related

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=beRzApXgIk4&feature=related

I was kicked out to Sunday School at All Souls Witton on Sunday afternoons, much against my will, then when I turned 11 to what passed as some kind of 'youth club'. Mostly I skived off, and went up to Aston Park to see what was happening. I was too young naive to understand precisely why my parents wanted me out of the house....

By the way, does anyone remember Miss Minshull (spelling?) who for years ran the Sunday School at All Souls?

Big Gee

Haaa, Sunday afternoons, after dinner it would washed and scrubbed up for Sunday School at the Tin Tabernacle as Dad called it, or the

The Corrugated Church It was a corrugated steel structure on the corner of Rocky Lane and Dorrington Road. Then home to tinned pears

and evaporated milk if Gran and Uncle Jack were there. If they weren't it was bread and butter !!

It was the same for me John when we lived in Four Oaks. It was a fair walk to Sunday School near Rosemary Hill Road but the third Sunday in the month was at Little Aston Church about 45minute walk I hated it! I still have a couple of books awarded to me as pizes for attendance. I was too scared to play the wag...lol It was great when grandma visited as we always got posher food!...ha ha.

We always put C of E on forms but proceded then to avoid church totally. I can't remember any of my friends going to church...maybe possibly three times only. I suspect twice now. Birmingham, I have read, is a large Non-conformist area and I thought that meant little or no church but I see that it meant something quite different. In fact it seems to have meant all or most of the non-C of E. Days in the country and on the sports field for me. Five day's a week at school is enough and we regarded the rest as play time.

I wonder how many tons of tinned fruit and cream of one sort or another were demolished in our fair City on Sunday afternoons back then ?
When the sun came out we sometimes walked in the park, now we drag out the barbeque.
I think the only similarity is a reduced bus service. Back then of course they were very careful to make sure the Sunday timetable fitted in with hospital visiting times. A vivid memory for me is how slowly the buses used to travel on Sunday afternoons. Looking back, it's as if they also were respecting the day of rest.

Hi All.

My memory of Sunday afternoon is bands. The Salvation Army turned up about once a month on Sunday afternoon, played a couple of hymns whilst other members knocked on doors for the collection, Dad always told us kids to be quiet so that they would go away thinking there was no one at home. Later I was in the cubs and then scouts. We had church parade once a month and then marched round the local streets behind the band. What a din with the bugles blaring away all out of tune. How Small Heath suffered.

Then the war came and we were bombed out and moved to live with my sister in South yardley. I joined the ATC and eventually played a bugle in the squadron band. Again church parade and a march round the streets of Yardley. The good citizens of Yardley did not suffer as much as Small Heath, our bugles played in tune. ( I hope Len Copsey agrees). The band of 2030 Squadron ATC came second in the area band contest. The winners BSA Squadron presumably entertained the good citizens of Small Heath on their chuch parades.

Old Boy

Back