• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Sub District of St Martin, Birmingham

Sian

master brummie
Hello Listers

I wonder if anyone could tell me where a child who died at 14 Court 1` Bristol Street, Sub District of St Martin, in 1911 would have been buried please.

Also, could anyone do a look up for Birmingham burials please?
I understand that Birmingham is not included on the National Burial Index nor are parts of London.

I am looking for the burial of John and Elizabeth Frost, Elizabeth died
in May 1855 at 31 Hanley Street off Summer Lane, Birmingham. John died before the 1841 Census, that is why I would like to find where he is buried.

Hope someone can help.
Best regards
Sian

Hello Sian there is no Birmingham burial records each church and cemetery is indexed separately and the records are at central library.
I have the St Martins records and have found two John Frost's.

John Frost burial 9th Oct 1831 age 83 years abode Bull Ring.
John Frost burial 26th Sept 1842 age 60 years abode Workhouse.

I could find no record of Elizabeth at St Martins so she may have been buried at a church which came under the parish of St Martins or she may be buried in one of the cemeteries. If you let me know the name of the child who died in 1911 I will have a look for you.

Hello Wendy and Alf

I think the John Frosts are too old for my dates, but he could be the generation before of course, I will keep hold of those burials jic.

The name of the child was Thomas Joseph Frost died Apr 1911.

I will try that website Alf ~ thank you both very much.
Best wishes
Sian

Hi Wendy

His middle name Joseph was named after his mother's father Joseph Stringer who died one month before Thomas, chances are they are buried together maybe. Could you see if Joseph Stringer [1911]is buried there please?

I will put the Joseph Frost burial on file though.

I need to study the website for all the churches and cemetry's, I do know that little Thomas Joseph's mother, father and grandmother are buried in Witton Cemetry, they were living in Irving Street, by the Horsefair, I am surprised they choose to go to Perry Barr.

Thank you Wendy very much for your help.
Best wishes
Sian

I have had a look and there is no Joseph Stringer at St Martins. The graveyard would have been closed by this time and the only burials would be in family plots. The churchyards were becoming overcrowded in the 1830's due to the population and because of overcrowding the epidemics. The first cemetery to open was Key Hill or known then as the General Cemetery. This was built privately and opened in 1835 mainly for non conformist burial then Warstone Lane opened in 1847 for mainly C of E these were located in the Jewelery Quarter. Followed by Witton in 1863 Lodge Hill, Brandwood End and so on.

There is a link here to a thread on the types of graves.

https://forum.birminghamhistory.co.uk/showthread.php?t=9873&highlight=types+graves

Hi Wendy

That link makes very interesting reading ~ but I think another trip to the Central Library when I can have another calculated guess where these dear folks may have been laid to rest.

Thanks ever so much for your help and time.
Best wishes
Sian

Back