• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Street furniture

Another feature of city streets was the cab stand/shelter. This one c1900 on Moseley Village Green seems to be in the perfect setting. I know some shelters are still on the streets of London but are there any in Birmingham or have any been preserved? Viv.

image.jpeg

Nice picture viv, good question it will be intresting to see if any of our good old members turn up trumps
and i wold be very surprized if there are any best wishes Alan,,, Astonian,,,,

Viv,

I remember the one in Moseley Village as I used to change buses there on my way to and from school. I left school in 1953 so I can't help you after that date. Lovely picture though! :)

And if I remember correctly, Zenas Webb's estate agency business used to be in that row of shops on the left. I was in the same class as his grandson, who was sadly knocked off his bicycle in Harare in 1960 and killed.

Maurice

I put this photo in the Clocks thread and it was thought that it was used by cabbies at Aston Cross.
index.php

only visible if logged in, it is a link to a forum pic from https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/index.php?threads/clocks.45336/page-6#post-566407

Last edited:
One thing I remember vividly about Moseley, which would possibly be around 1949/50, would be one Saturday evening after visiting relatives in the area. I had to walk to the 1A bus stop, at the junction Church Road/Wake Green Road, to get to Stratford Road for another bus to take me in the direction of my home.
It was a dry evening, with a full moon, and clouds were racing across the sky. It was quiet and eerie so I was pleased to see my 1A bus, one of the AEC RT type buses which were often seen on that route come around the corner.
Being young I found the experience quite memorable so much so that I can readily visualize it now some nearly seventy years later.

I too have doubts that any have survived from Birmingham streets. A key factor in deciding the position of shelters must have been the space available for the shelter. But demand for cabs at that location must also have been a key factor. So did the position of these shelters in time become tram stops - and later - bus stops? Were cab shelters marked on maps? Not sure I've ever seen one marked. Viv.

Is that a cab shelter or a circular cast iron urinal? It looks a bit like the latter to me, though ta that resolution it is not clear. Certainly they seem to have been marked on at least some occasions, but not named. the Moseley one is marked on the c1905 map below. There is no equivalent on the c1890 map. I suspect that they would have been named on the large scale 1:500 map, but do not have any of that scale at that time.

MAP C 1905 SHOWING CAB SHELTER UNNAMED.jpg

The original forum post states it is a cabbies shelter and the image source 'Library of Birmingham - Shoothill' says it is a cabbies shelter, but it is debatable when looking closely at the image.

Cab Shelter in Ratcliff Place
index.php

only visible if logged in, it is a link to a forum pic from https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/for...nickets-of-old-brum.33053/page-47#post-501518
Love the picture, but the optical illusions created by the cameraman are superb, a French gendarme booking the cab driver for seemingly towing away the cabbies hut and the horse appears to have plumes on its head...death of the cabstand!!! On a serious note can one of you geniuses or is it genii who have next years four year old to hand blow up the ,where the reins end (parallel to the lamp?

Bob

Bob

A very long legged horse. A Hackney horse maybe. I know several breeds have disappeared like the Yorkshire Coach Horse. Yet the Yorkshire Greys pull the Queen's state coach. The left hand rein seems to disappear over the cab the other seems to carry on up? I notice the horse can't fit in the stand. I suppose he would get a blanket hopefully.

I remember this Bundy clock outside the Gaumont cinema. The #33 is swinging past Lloyd House, then the Post & Mail building. But the buses used to stop (such as the #64- but not the #33) on the Lloyd Hse/Post &Mail side. So why was the Bundy right across on the other side of the road? I don't remember buses stopping on that side by the Gaumont (although I do remember this was a one- way system around here). Viv.

image.jpeg

You can just see the row of bus shelters on this photo - where the bus has pulled over p, behind the van. This whole area has since changed, Post and Mail building has gone, Gaumont has gone ....... Shame, the P&M building was one of the 'modern' buildings I liked. Photo must be around 1970/80s.

Viv.

image.jpeg

Outside Snow Hill station, this (1950s/60s ?) image has a wealth of street furniture; bus stops, green bus shelters, yellow litter bin, two street lamps without their fittings and a traffic sign with a red circle (maybe something to do with 'no waiting' ?). Viv.

image.jpeg

nice photo viv new one to me... reg 771 GOJ may date it a bit closer if someone could look it up for us

lyn

Back