• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Stories Behind The Pictures

Pedrocut

Master Barmmie
8C15986A-2630-433F-AAF5-029E98C4F20B.jpeg ED707393-1ACF-47F5-B332-B3D93C534CDA.jpeg

Thanks to OldM for the picture posted on the Thread “Courtyards and yards of Brum” (repeated here). It made me think of the recent Programme by David Olusogu....A House through Time. The house that David investigated was in Liverpool, and on this Forum it was hoped that they could do a series of programmes in Birmingham.

There must be many stories behind the pictures on the Forum, but this one may only be tales of woe. The people living in the courts of Rea Street might only be found in a census or in tragic or criminal records.

In 1871 a lad of 13 from 2 Court, 2 House Rea Street, was charged with stealing a jacket from a shop in Bull Street. He had been previously convicted, and received a bad character from his mother. He was sent to prison for 3 days and ordered to be whipped.

1883, ? Court, Rea Street....brutal attack on father, warrant issued for arrest of his son.

1890...Lady (30) of 8 Court, 2 House, Rea Street....attempted suicide in the Birmingham and Fazeley Canal. Also a man from 9 Court, Rea St charged with violent assault on his wife and a constable...3 months hard labour.

In 1891 a man was convicted of wilful murder of a lady living in a Court in Rea Street, and sent for sentencing.

A very interesting piece from 1901 (thumbnail) tells of the role of the Landlord, and the order for the pulling down of at least 3 Court, Rea Street.

Last edited:
Not sure that Court 3 was pulled down in 1901, as “Choppy Smith” a black-lister from 3 Court, Rea St was sentenced to 3 months hard labour. He had had 58 previous appearances.

I like this idea for a thread Pedro. Makes interesting reading alongside the photo. Viv.

Also in 1901, the Birmingham Gazette carries an article concerning “slum land.” There is a mention of landlords...

“Unfit housing must be condemned, whether they are the property of Aldermen, who send round agents with deaf ears, or petty tradesmen who keep the corner shop, and hold the tenants in thrawl alike for rent and their bite to eat.”

With the records that some forumites obviously have, this could become a very interesting thread, already like what is there so far. please keep it going.
Bob

Last edited:
View attachment 125806 View attachment 125805

Thanks to OldM for the picture posted on the Thread “Courtyards and yards of Brum” (repeated here). It made me think of the recent Programme by David Olusogu....A House through Time. The house that David investigated was in Liverpool, and on this Forum it was hoped that they could do a series of programmes in Birmingham.

There must be many stories behind the pictures on the Forum, but this one may only be tales of woe. The people living in the courts of Rea Street might only be found in a census or in tragic or criminal records.

In 1871 a lad of 13 from 2 Court, 2 House Rea Street, was charged with stealing a jacket from a shop in Bull Street. He had been previously convicted, and received a bad character from his mother. He was sent to prison for 3 days and ordered to be whipped.

1883, ? Court, Rea Street....brutal attack on father, warrant issued for arrest of his son.

1890...Lady (30) of 8 Court, 2 House, Rea Street....attempted suicide in the Birmingham and Fazeley Canal. Also a man from 9 Court, Rea St charged with violent assault on his wife and a constable...3 months hard labour.

In 1891 a man was convicted of wilful murder of a lady living in a Court in Rea Street, and sent for sentencing.

A very interesting piece from 1901 (thumbnail) tells of the role of the Landlord, and the order for the pulling down of at least 3 Court, Rea Street.
Probably explains why the cameraman kept his equipment case in view while he concentrated on taking the photo ...:)

In another thread we wondered about this lady standing with the group of lads by No 42, Northwood Street. Were there any stories in old newspapers about that street ?
index.php

from https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/for...our-old-street-pics.41947/page-99#post-580529

index.php

from https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/index.php?threads/old-street-pics.38737/page-242#post-580577

Here we go. The goings on at #46, #54 and #100 Northwood Street. Wonder if any of these properties are in the image ?

Bankruptcy (typical of most streets of this period), a Blondin toy manufacturer and a serious gambling house (61 packets containing £7 bets sounds a lot to me, so no small enterprise until they got found out !) Viv.

Attachments

• IMG_0165.JPG
    IMG_0165.JPG
    88.7 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_0166.JPG
    IMG_0166.JPG
    159.5 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_0167.JPG
    IMG_0167.JPG
    232.5 KB · Views: 19
great idea for a new thread pedro...can anyone make out the court number above the entry...maybe court 2 or 3 ?? as it may help identify the numbers of the front houses

and just look at all the plant pots etc perched above the window...bit dodgy on a windy day:D

lyn

Here we go. The goings on at #46, #54 and #100 Northwood Street. Wonder if any of these properties are in the image ?

Bankruptcy (typical of most streets of this period), a Blondin toy manufacturer and a serious gambling house (61 packets containing £7 bets sounds a lot to me, so no small enterprise until they got found out !) Viv.

Gambling, wonder if the Chinns had anything to do with this!

Lyn,

I don't have too many doubts about the two, just what is before it, e.g. 1 then in could be Court 12, if there was a Court 12 in that street. Had it been the USA or this Forum, I could have settled for #2. But given Brum and the date, I'm not sure.

Maurice

maurice the group of lads were standing outside no 42 with the court entry to the left so if we had a map of northwood st it may also show the court numbers...maybe mike can help us

lyn

In the ‘Old Streets’ thread (second link) it was thought that it was Court 17 which was next to No 44 and there is a map there.
I also seem to get 17 when I enlarge and sharpen the image.
:)

northwood st 34 to38.jpg Northwoodfull.jpg pic 1 shows 34 to 38 with a factory gates to the left (we can see the numbering written on the window shutters. the pic also shows a factory to the right of 38.... phils pic 2 shows lads outside no 42 but where is the factory right of 38 on that photo?? the factory to the left of 34 is clearly seen on both photos..just wondering if the number is not correct on phils pic..posting both photos together..hope ive not confused

Hi Lyn,
I had pondered that question in the old streets thread. The factory is the Carpathian Manufacturing Co, and it seems 'Mrs Fagin's' house would have had to have been demolished to make way for the factory.
But I'm not sure about it, I will have to look closer at the pics later today.
Phil

ahh so im not going daft then phil....:D i think more than mrs fagins would have been demolished to make way for the factory..depending on if the numbering went up in ones or twos...im busy now but will come back to this but looking at the way the ladies are dressed in both pics they look about the same date

lyn

Back