• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

still smith searching !!

janparf

proper brummie kid
Hello, Im still searching for any information on my Smith family, origionaly from Somerset, then moved to Ynyshir in Glamorgan, then part of the family moved to Birmingham area. Im trying to find out what happened to James Richard Smith & Wife Lily Smith. I know James R was alive in 1942 as he was the informant on his mothers death cert & address given as 26 Shelford Road, South Yardley, Birmingham. I would love to find out more about him & his family & find out when & where he died. I know he is not buried in the same grave as his mother who was buried in Yardley Cemetery. Any help would be brilliant......I havent a clue how to start searching for him.
Also trying to find out where his sisters & brother would be buried, I know they also came to Birmingham to live from Wales.
Thank you
Jan

Hello Jan - have you asked Yardley if he is buried on his own, or just if he is with his mother? Where did James Richard Smith die, that might give a clue.

Shortie

Hello Jan - have you asked Yardley if he is buried on his own, or just if he is with his mother? Where did James Richard Smith die, that might give a clue.

Shortie

Thats a good idea, hadnt thought of that, only trouble is dont have a clue when he died. I have a birth date for him from his bpt in Ynyshir of 27th April 1902 but checked on deaths & havent found a death for James R Smith with that birth date. Have found a possible one of 1949 in Birmingham district but not sure if him or not. All I have to go on for him is his Bpt, marriage to Lily Mills in 1927 in Ynyshir & his name & address on the death cert of his mother in 1942. I dont even know if he had children or not, would so love to find out more about him but Smith is such a hard name to research in such a big area as Birmingham. I have a feeling that he wasnt buried in Yardley Cemetery as the lady I contacted before concerning his mother told me that the grave was purchased for 3 burials but she was the only one interred in the grave. I know that one brother of James ( Frederick George) & two sisters (Annie & Bessie) died in the Birmingham area in the 1970s but again I have no idea where they are buried either. Maybe I will start by emailing Yardley cemetery.

Will put a post on here about Shelford Road as well & see if anyone knows anything about the place....I wonder if there are any electoral rolls for then.
Thanks Jan

Jan, I would think the best idea would be to find his death first, as you won't find it easy without that. Either way it is not going to be a breeze, so patience is called for. I have had a great deal to do with all the cemeteries in Birmingham, and I know for a fact that, especially with a name like Smith, they won't do very much without further information, AND they only do a small amount before charging £10 - that is something that applied from April 2011. I will IM you.

Shortie

Jan, I maybe wrong but I think it is more likely to be Shalford Road than Shelford...I had family living there many years ago.. Hope that helps :)

Back