• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Stewart & MacDonald Company -Help Please

S

sharon.spooner1

Can anyone tell me about a company called

Stewart and MacDonald, in Birmingham

I think the may have manufactured something or been a warehouse company

anything however small please

Stewart & MacDonald Warehousemen 8 Livery St, Snow Hill, Birmingham 1913 Kelly's Directory.

Phil

Phil,
I had info that He was a warehouse Clerk from 1901 census
Do you know what they had there?

Thats funny
The story about his father was he was killed by a train in Snow Hill station,
but I can not find anything about that either. And that must have been close.

I tried all afternoon to find directories but couldnt find anything and you do it in no time at all thank you

Don't know if this is any help Sharon
Not mentioned 1873 or before
1876-1880. Stewart&McDonald,wholesale.warehouseman.2 Eldon.chambers.Cherry St
1883, 1884 Not listed, but Eldon Chambers appear to have been demolished, and New Eldon chambers built – perhaps for much higher rent than they wanted to pay.
1888. Stewart & McDonald, warehousemen, Little Cherry street
1890. Stewart & McDonald ,warehouseman, Commercial buildings, Cannon St.
1892-1904 , Stewart & McDonald ,warehouseman, Bute warehouse, Cannon St.
1908. Stewart & McDonald, warehousemen, Fletcher's chambers, Fore street
1912. Stewart & McDonald Limited, warehousemen, 8 Great Western buildings, Livery street
1921. Stewart & McDonald Limited, warehousemen, 8 Great Western buildings, 6 Livery street
1932. Campbell, Stewart & Macdonald, warehouseman, 8 Great Western buildings, 6 Livery street
By 1940 the address had altered to 7, Great Western Buildings, though this may merely be a renumbering. Between 1944 and 1949 the firm disappeared.
Mike

WHAT A STAR YOU ARE.. I could not find anything BLESS YOU.

This is actually for someones birthday, all the family info ( aswell as my tree.. trouble is she'll have to wait as its friday!!)

Soho street would make sence too.. as I have some other info on that street. I found out John Edward was at a school in Pinner, and they had a couple of securities, and one lived on Soho Street.
And it is closeto all the addresses I have.

I wonder if the fact in 1911 census he was a Glass Bottle Labourer, meant they had moved too far from home perhaps.

Thanks again
Sharon

Back