• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Steward Street School

this info is from wiki....

William Slim was born at 72 Belmont Road, St Andrews, Bristol, the son of John Slim by his marriage to Charlotte Tucker, and was baptised there at St Bonaventure's Roman Catholic church, Bishopston. He was brought up first in Bristol, attending St Bonaventure's Primary School, then St Brendan's College, before moving to Birmingham in his teens. In Birmingham, he attended St Philip's Grammar School, Edgbaston, and King Edward's School. After leaving school, his father's failure in business as a wholesale ironmonger meant that the family could afford to send only one son, Slim's older brother, to the University of Birmingham, so between 1910 and 1914 Slim taught in a primary school and worked as a clerk in Stewarts & Lloyds, a metal-tube maker.

Hi Astoness,I am from Ladywood and lived in Ruston Street And latterly in Anderton StreetI now live in Stirling.Iam great fan of Bill Slim and was amazed on reading a recent biography under the title Uncle Bill that the school he had taught in was Steward Street.I just wondered if anyone else was aware of his connection with that school

well i was not aware of it so its another bit of of brum history for our archives so thank you for bringing it to our attention...not sure about rushton st but i am pretty sure there are a couple of photos of anderton st on the forum unless you have already found them

lyn

Hi Lynn thanks for the info on Anderton Street,I think I may have confused you ,it was Ruston Street which was off Broad Street opposite St. Martins Street

Some happy faces (but a sad occasion before the school closure) in this 1969 photo. Viv.

E9DCB465-2EA9-4F39-97E9-7D449A19B9C5.jpeg
Source: British Newspaper Archive

What a lovely thread. My family were the corkhills. They lived at 55 steward Street and I think would most likely have attended this school. Does anyone know of the corkhills? I'm currently building my family tree and know up to william h corkhill my 2nd great grandfather. My great grandmother has 55 as her birth address and so does my grandmother.
Katie.

hi kate another thread for you to look at about the cross keys pub steward st...a few photos of it

Steward Street School in 1949. Looks like an art or craft class, very relaxed ! One girl has taken over the class teacher’s chair and desk. Viv.8E97520D-46BB-4CF1-A066-BD3D4E6BCED1.jpeg

Attachments

• A886371C-D98D-487B-BFFF-41CFF9B21236.jpeg
    A886371C-D98D-487B-BFFF-41CFF9B21236.jpeg
    252.1 KB · Views: 12
Or perhaps, Viv, They were suffering a shortage of teachers and reverting to the Victorian habit of putting more senior pupils in charge of classes !! If the government's enthusiasm for form filling, listings, evaluations and testing drives away even more teachers from the profession , then that idea might return.

The School building is still there. The former playground (Google Streetview) seems to now be a car park. Viv.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230622_192702_Maps.jpg
    Screenshot_20230622_192702_Maps.jpg
    283 KB · Views: 6
  • Screenshot_20230622_192630_Maps.jpg
    Screenshot_20230622_192630_Maps.jpg
    286.6 KB · Views: 6
  • Screenshot_20230622_193055_Maps.jpg
    Screenshot_20230622_193055_Maps.jpg
    543.7 KB · Views: 6
Just Joined this site am researching my family tree, was wondering if this is of interest to anyone
a photo of Stewart St School 1938 . Bottom row 2nd from right is a picture of my late Father
Dennis William Jones born March 1930

Attachments

• Steward St School 1938.jpg
    Steward St School 1938.jpg
    140 KB · Views: 9
what a smashing photo david thanks for sharing it..must say they look a happy bunch

lyn

Not sure where it came from (no relation) but I have a book that an Annie Neal received for good attendance at Steward St School in 1906. She lived on Springfield St.

There are also books she received from Steward St Sunday School (not sure if it's the same), as well books that were received by her husband George Evans, her sister Jessie Neal, her half brother Edwin Arrowsmith and her mother Elizabeth Dyhouse. The last from the 1880s.

Not sure where it came from (no relation) but I have a book that an Annie Neal received for good attendance at Steward St School in 1906. She lived on Springfield St.

There are also books she received from Steward St Sunday School (not sure if it's the same), as well books that were received by her husband George Evans, her sister Jessie Neal, her half brother Edwin Arrowsmith and her mother Elizabeth Dyhouse. The last from the 1880s.
hi mark i also have books and other various items that belong to other families...i have posted them on the forum under the surname interests in the hopes that any living family may want to claim them as they should be with them..in fact i must bring those threads to the top again..

lyn

• Appreciate
Reactions: MWS
Further to my 1st post yesterday, am also posting a photo of my late Mother Ivy Jones nee Taylor
from the same year but different class as my Father , they lived next door to each other in back to back houses in Stour Street
my Mother is in 2nd row down & 2nd across , have posted this photo before on the oldladywood web site
had a reply by a Linda Driscoll who recognized her mother in the same row third from the right with the glasses
wonder if anyone else out there has family members in the photos ?

Attachments

• Mom Steward St School 1938.jpg
    Mom Steward St School 1938.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 7
I was born in Ingleby St and went to Steward St from '63 to '69, i was there the day it closed. Teachers I remember were Mrs. Evans, Mr. Cogley and Miss Hands. It was a great school, thank you for bringing back so many happy memories.

Paul

Does anybody have any idea who actually OWN'S Stewart Street School Nowadays?
Steward street school open end in1873 As steward street board school with accommodation for 1,036
Having Boys ,girls,infants departments , Fees 2d. & 3d. ,
In 1890 all fees were reduced to 1d. Because of poverty in the area,
In1914 the head master was Mr Bennett, Mr Jackson, miss Gee and miss Spencer,
The premises were reorganised in 1932 for senior boys , ,Junior mixed and infants
The senior boys closed in 1943 the Junior and infants closed on the 31 st of August 1969
As the result of redevelopments, and a decline in child population
In1953 the Teachers included GJ Lewis and miss D,E, Allely. It was a large school having
13 Class rooms and 3 halls
I myself attended that school and Mr Lewis was the Head master and in that time it was a Mrs Jones was the assistant
Head mistress I later left and went to Ickneild street school
Best wishes Alan,,,,,Astonian,,,,,
Does anybody have any idea who actually OWN'S Stewart Street School Nowadays?

Back