• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution
Was the sceptre originally made in one whole part? Or was the capital a separate piece? Was it sawn off? It's hard to believe it was ever removed in the first place. Viv

I doubt that thieves would have put up there own scaffolding to steal it. I've got no idea.

Could have happened when Victoria Square was being remodelled in 1992 - 1994. Whole sqaure was closed off back then.

I was ONE of the seven! I worked on the clay models for the Boulton,Murdoch & Watt project. at Golden Hilllocks Road studio, Anyone know if this is still there it was a old house with workshops in the back. not far from the BSA factory. and Billy Gamesons bike shop also on Golden Hillock Road, Of course that is also long gone, I raced for Midland C&AC on a Gameson for years. John Crump OldBrit in Parker Co USA p.s Thanks for the info on Bloyes Blue Plaque I will go take a shuftee if I am every in Brum again.

During the 3-4yrs I work for Mr Bloye he had several projects apart from the statues of note. Renovating old mansions and house some in Moseley etc. Plaster, damaged in WW2 we removed cornices made clay models and recast them in plaster of Paris, reinstalled them and did other repair work as needed. I also worked in a cold dank work shop under a bridge near New street station, hand painting train schedules as needed, One or twice a week I would go to a cremetormium near the old Austin factory in Northfield? and carve inscriptions of the dear departed. I use to ride there on my Gameson bike, work a couple of hours and then go riding and training, All this for Ten BOB a week! I also did attend art classes a the college inn the back of the town hall in Brum. Are there any photos of William Bloye? I use to laff at all the young models? who came to the studio, Often wondered what they did! John Crump OldBrit, Parker, Co USA

A quick search on Google only comes up with images of his work.

A lot of his work has survived, even if a building is demolished, his sculptures survived. Such as on a pub in Fox Hollies - got demolished, then the sculpture got installed on a supermarket (Lidl).
The Mermaid (now The President) in Sparkhill - has fire damage, but that sculpture has survived (building needs restoring again - been on fire twice!).

New Street Station has changed a lot, and they are changing it again now!

Another article about the blue plaque Blue Plaque unveiled for William Bloye from the Birmingham Conservation Trust.

William Bloye born in 1890 was a Birmingham sculpture who trained and later taught at the Birmingham School of Art. His plaque joins more than 75 other blue plaques around the city which are awarded by the Birmingham Civic Society to commemorate a link between a location and famous person. The recipients of Blue Plaques have to have been dead for at least 20 years to be eligible.
William Bloye’s blue plaque is located at the site of the sculptor’s former studio where City College Birmingham’s Golden Hillock Campus now stands to mark 120 years since his birth. Bloye was Birmingham’s unofficial civic sculptor, working on virtually all public commissions including libraries, hospitals and the university.

Real strange that NO photos of Mr. William Bloye. he was in his 60s when I worked for him, Tall greyish fuzzy hair, glasses, A real pleasant man to work for, BUT No excuses with the work you did for him. I remember working on a clay model of a lion once, "Crump lions have bloody BALLS" he said so large balls my lion had! I will visit the site of the studio now the college when I visit Brum hopefully in August or Sept this year, Also the Moseley school that is featured is NOT the Moseley School of art, on Hagley road, (Now owned by a muslic group,) That I went to for Three years, prior to working for Mr Bloye, John Crump OldBrit, Parker,Colorado (Cold and snowy) USA

Back