• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Station Road Stechford

RobT

Acemeccanoman
Edit. This thread has been started using information posted to the Bulls Head Stechford thread. On a post in that thread a report suggests there may have been an archeological study of the area but nothing has as yet been reported.

This shows the shape of the pub & location in 1999 & 2001

1999.JPG2001.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Former Bulls Head Allotments
No. on Map Description Situation T1-Maple, T2-Sycamore, T3-T5- Silver Birch, T6--Maple, T7-Laburnum, T8 - Hawthorn As indicated on the plan

http://property.birmingham.gov.uk/w...guidelines-Bulls-Head-Allotments-Jan-2015.pdf

Thanks for that link Rob. Interesting.

There are lime trees that are to be kept (excellent!) and others can be removed if they’re replaced within the development. Well that’s something I suppose.

Interesting that an archaeological survey was recommended - a mention is made to a possible medieval settlement on the allotments. Don’t know if this was done though. Might be interesting to see any evidence/reports produced if only to put the pub into the context of its later place in what could have been a hamlet/Stechford Village rising from here perhaps ?

Viv.

Last edited:
This is the relevant extract from the report posted by RobT in an earlier post. It would be interesting to know if any study was carried out. And if so, what were the findings ? Viv.

761F7F65-2AA6-4E17-ACFB-C06B44CCC806.jpeg

just had a quick read mike it seems something was found..will read it properly later on

lyn

The report is of a desk study only Lyn to see if further exploration was justified. The study recommended test pits near the road and across a possible medieval house and toft should be dug to check on medieval activity. It was believed there had been little post-medieval activity so if there was anything underground it would still be intact. The report doesn’t say if test pits were made. So we’re the test pits dug ? If so was there a follow up report of findings ? Viv.

Last edited:
The study recommended test pits near the road to check on medieval activity. The report doesn’t say if this was carried out. Were the test pits dug ? Was there a follow up report of findings ? Viv.

viv tomorrow i will send mikes link to mike hodder to see if he know more about this as he was the councils archeaologist at that time i think

lyn

viv just emailed mike hodder in case i forget tomorrow will get back when i hear from him

lyn

That’s great Lyn. I edited my post with a bit more detail Lyn. You might find that helpful in writing to MikeH. Viv.

A quick summary of the desk research in the archeological data services report. It speculates that there may have been the following on the site:
- possibly a medieval house and tofts and crofts (ie other dwellings and/or outbuildings)
- possibly a tile kiln nearby
- possibly flax fields

It suggested test pits might be dug to

Be interesting to hear Mike Hodder’s response to Lyn’s email about whether there were any test pits, as a result of the desk study, and before building work commenced.

Viv.

Last edited:
just received this email off mike hodder...he will get back to me if he can trace the report

Hi Lyn

There was some fairly limited trenching- there should be a report on that in the archaeology data service as well- I will see if I can track it down- but nothing beyond that as far as I know.

Mike

The Lord Mayor and Lady Mayoress, with Councillor Norman Tiptaft and (right) Mr. Victor Hamilton in the control room of an underground depot at Stechford…. “This underground centre-it was only opened yesterday-is in Station-road, Stechford. Its roof is covered with foot-thick concrete, above which is 3ft of earth.”
(Birmingham Gazette May 1940)

Anyone know whereabouts in Station Road ?

IMG_5797.jpegIMG_5798.jpegIMG_5799.jpeg

Plenty of pictures of Station Road, Stechford here.

Back