• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

St Thomas In The Moors Church Balsall Heath

Sian

master brummie
Hello

I have searched through the forum before posting a new thread ~ my query was to ask if anyone knew of a St Thomas Church other than the one in Bath Row. I found one on the forum in Balsall Heath and I think that may be the one I;m looking for. There was an attached thumbnail of a photograph of it but I cant get it to open. Can anyone help please. Also I would love to see a photograph of Yardley Parish Church if at all possible.

Many thanks
Sian

The one in Balsall heath was, I think, St Thomas in the Moors. No burial ground if I am correct.

Hello Shortie
It was a marriage that took place there in 1847 but the information only says St Thomas, Birmingham. I dont really know if it is the church in Balsall Heath I am just guessing, their home addresses tend to be in Aston.
I may have to send for the certificate and hope there is more information on it.
Best wishes
Sian

Hi Sian

I am not sure when St Thomas in the Moors was built, offhand. I expect it will be St Thomas, Bath Row, because Balsall Heath was not Birmingham at that time, it was Worcestershire. I would suggest you look at the records in the library for St Thomas, Bath Row, before you send for a certificate - it's much cheaper! It will take a little time, but it will cost you just the price of a photo copy - about 25p rather than £9, and you get the same information.

Happy hunting

Shortie

Hi Sian

I have checked and St Thomas in the Moors was built in 1883, so it cannot have been the church you are looking for - it will have to be St Thomas, Bath Row, if indeed it is a Birmingham church. One of the couple must have lived in the vicinity for them to be able to use the church for the marriage, so the Aston bit must have been where they lived after marriage (it could have been where the bride was working and living, for instance). All the churches are listed on Bham.de if you want to check for yourself.
Best wishes
Shortie

Sian

A photo of St Thomas in Cox St West Balsall Heath and St Edburghas Yardley Parish Church and also for good luck St Thomas Bath Row. The St Thomas on Garretts Green Lane opened in 1969.

Phil

BalsallHeathStThomass.jpg
StEdburghasYardley.jpg
CityBathRowStThomas2.jpg

Hi everyone
Sorry for the delay in responding I have been watching the Memorial ceremony at the Albert Hall. Thank you all for your comments and Phil for the photographs. Yes I feel I must do some further research, however, the dates that the churches were built narrows the field somewhat.
They are all magnificent Churches ~ much appreciate the photographs thank you.

Best wishes
Sian

No it was way before 1969, I left the area in 1968 and sadly my dearest friend had had a funeral service in 1966. I'm pretty sure it was opened around 61-62

Good morning Phil not a very nice one in Birmingham but we cant complain we have had some beautiful days lately.
Phil could you tell me if Yardley Parish Church is the one in the middle of your post please. I am very grateful to you for finding these photographs for me.
Best wishes
Sian

Thank you Phil ~ this is such a brilliant forum ~ I find you all so helpful.

Many thanks again.
Best wishes Sian

Garrett s Green was not opened in 1969 but ten years earlier just into 1960. I lived in Manston Road and became organist of the Church in 1961- initially on a grand piano and eventually a new organ (a rebuild by Glanville Jones of a redundant organ at St Patrick, Balsall Heath). From the beginning we had a good choir. The vicar was Rev Peter Noel Hayward who became my lifelong friend, sadly he died in 2022. In 1969 I moved on to Meriden and after to Dordon, Polesworth and latterly in Hartshill.

Back