• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

St. Silas School

HUNTERS VALE FEB 2013 013.JPGHUNTERS VALE FEB 2013 015.JPGHUNTERS VALE FEB 2013 016.JPGhi brian i did have a thread for hunters vale and hockley brook where i posted the pics i took but i cant seem to locate it on the forum at the min...anyhow here are a couple i took last year looking down at the brook..

lyn

Morning Bernard,

Sorry to "crash in " on this thread.
I typed in a reply to your PM last night and on hitting "send," was told that my message could not be sent because I wasn't logged in.
I WAS logged in, then my message disappeared.
I'll try again later.

Baz.

bernie that was one of the threads but not the one i was looking for...dont worry i will look again when i have more time..

cheers

lyn

St Silas. (2).jpeg
I have posted this St. Silas Church pic on here because it must have been in the vicinity of the school with the same name. St Silas Church, consecrated in 1854 and designed by F. W. Fiddian is now a listed building.

think this is a new one to this thread....taken circa 57/58 does anyone recognise any faces

lyn

st silas school circa 57 to58.jpg

think this is a new one to this thread....taken circa 57/58 does anyone recognise any faces

lyn

View attachment 136754

Hi Astoness,

This was the year I started at St Silas at age 5, I think the teacher on the right as you look at the photo is Mr Handley, I could be wrong but the pupil immediately next to him could be David Wragg (now lives in Oz)? The teacher on the left could either be Mr Eagles (Head) or perhaps Mr Sheldon (craft teacher) but, I'm not entirely sure. One of my favourite teachers was a Miss Stammers her father was a Dentist who had his own practice on Heathfield Road.

Lozellian.

Lozellian.

thanks lozellian here is another one...no date but all the children are wearing prefect badges..i believe the name of one of the girls is glyn maisey....

lyn

st silas school no date.jpg

and another one dated 61/62

left to right are Tony Gisevicious, Sara Wood, Carol Crowe and Nigel Loader.

st silas school 1961 or 2.jpg

hi lozellian you have a good memory...yes tony was a good friend of max bullivants in fact i think they are still in touch...

lyn

hi lozellian you have a good memory...yes tony was a good friend of max bullivants in fact i think they are still in touch...

lyn

Hi Astoness,

Thanks for the compliment (he said modestly ha ha) but, in later life didn't Tony have something to do with running a social Club or something of that ilk, which saw him appearing on a Midlands TV news programme many years ago but, I'm not sure of the topic of conversation.

Lozellian.

Hi Astoness,

Thanks for the compliment (he said modestly ha ha) but, in later life didn't Tony have something to do with running a social Club or something of that ilk, which saw him appearing on a Midlands TV news programme many years ago but, I'm not sure of the topic of conversation.

Lozellian.

hi lozellian that i dont know as i never knew tony...will ask about for you though

lyn

Hi All, I have loved reading your memories of St.Silas although it wasn’t me who went there, it was my Mum, Sylvia Phillips ( who lived in Lennox Street) who went there. She was born in 1942 so I assume she would have been there between 1946 and 1953. I don’t remember many of the names she talked of but I do remember her talking about Peter Sitch. Thank you for sharing your memories

ro
hello this is Carol Biddle, nee Blunt. My husband Colin has just joined this site. I attended St Silas J and I School from Autumn 1950 to 1955. I have a photo of the school play in about 1952 which I am hoping to put on this website. Some of the children in the play (Cinderella) were Carole Pemberton, Rita Price, Ian Bathie, Nigel Hulse, David Carr, Madeline Chambers, Geraldine Pearson. I can almost remember all the names.! Sadly, I do not have any photos of the building. There was an annexe in Hunters Rd, off Villa Rd, Handsworth. Hope this is of interest to you. Carol.
Hello Carol Blunt. I have just found this site, trying to find info re: St Silas. I am Geraldine nee Pearson and would love to see your old photo. new to site so not sure how to access.

Welcome to the forum - lots to read and discover although some older photos might be missing.
It looks as if Carol did not post the pic for some reason. Unfortunately she does not seem to have been on the Forum since she posted that last message in 2013.

Hi,

Just wondering if you still have the pics of the school as they are not showing up anymore. I attended the school from 1962 to 1968.
hi mike photos that were posted before 2010 were lost when the forum was hacked however there are still plenty to look at after that date

lyn

Do you mean of St Silas School or just in general?
there should be some of the school....always advisable to start reading a thread from post 1 so that you do not miss anything...you may know that the school is still there

there should be some of the school....always advisable to start reading a thread from post 1 so that you do not miss anything...you may know that the school is still there
Yes, sorry, I have only just joined the forum and was awaiting your reply before going any further. I can now see that there are a few more pics (I have at least one somewhere, I will try and find it and post it) I know the school is still there but I'm disappointed to learn that it's now closed. I have been intending to visit for years but I live out in Alvechurch nowadays and so I have never managed to get around to it. Great shame really, as the secondary school which I attended is also now closed although it has recently been re-opened as a community centre and there is an exhibition of the school history which includes many, if not all of the school annual group photographs. I guess this sort of thing is inevitable the older you get. C'est La Vie

hi mike we would love to see any photos you may have of st silas thank you...

i am only guessing but is your other school gower st by any chance...if so i knew nothing about an exhibition...

lyn

hi mike we would love to see any photos you may have of st silas thank you...

i am only guessing but is your other school gower st by any chance...if so i knew nothing about an exhibition...

lyn
No, it was Moseley Rd Art & Grammar School - opposite Balsall Heath Swimming Baths (Moseley Rd Baths)

View attachment 75471
St. Silas Church of England Primary School in Church Street Lozells in 1973 the year it was (closed not) demolished.
The view is from what was the juniors' play area. The wall to the right is the church and the entrance to the right next to the window was the entrance to the infants' school. There was another entrance to the left of the picture (out of shot) which was to/from the juniors' half of the school. I remember playing British Bulldogs and Thunderbirds in that playground.

Names I remember from my time there are:
Michael Faraday
Keith Portsmouth
Susan Powell
Hillary Whitbread
Alfonso Grant
Kevin Green
I can't for the life of me remember any of the teachers' names now other than the head at the time who was a Mr Dodd.

Just remembered one of the teachers - Mr Anderson

Last edited:
Hi all. Looking for information on St. Silas School. I have just found out that my brothers attended there. I believe it was a J&I School. From there they went to Harry Lucas.

I attended Brownies as a child in some buildings opposite the church in St. Silas grounds. Was this the school?

Would love to know if anyone has any memories of it, photos etc.
I also attend St silas from 1962-68 any pics from that era would be appreciated..teachers I remember are mr Dodd...mr Stammers..mr Anderson..mr mr Handley..nd mr Mohan..I did see a group pic on another forum I believe it was taken on a visit to a farm thank you

The view is from what was the juniors' play area. The wall to the right is the church and the entrance to the right next to the window was the entrance to the infants' school. There was another entrance to the left of the picture (out of shot) which was to/from the juniors' half of the school. I remember playing British Bulldogs and Thunderbirds in that playground.

Names I remember from my time there are:
Michael Faraday
Keith Portsmouth
Susan Powell
Hillary Whitbread
Alfonso Grant
Kevin Green
I can't for the life of me remember any of the teachers' names now other than the head at the time who was a Mr Dodd.

Just remembered one of the teachers - Mr Anderson
I was speaking to alphonso a few wks ago..
I remember....Mary Ann Taylor
Sandra Gillan
Yvonne Powell
George Tucker
Clifton Whyte..R.I.P
Jimmy Blair
David Jinks
Bobby Young
Joan Young
Jackie Graham...soul recording artist
June Bird
John Bayliss
Shirley Madden
Trevor May
Monica Simms

I also attend St silas from 1962-68 any pics from that era would be appreciated..teachers I remember are mr Dodd...mr Stammers..mr Anderson..mr mr Handley..nd mr Mohan..I did see a group pic on another forum I believe it was taken on a visit to a farm thank you
I actually have a copy of that picture somewhere. It shows us all in front of the coach with Mr Anderson on the right. One of these days, I will search it out and post it here. Give my regards to Alphonso when you see him - I remember him for wearing a Crombie coat and a Trilby hat. I also remember another name - Michael Faraday, plus a few of the ones you mentioned.

Back