• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

St Phillips Birmingham Look Ups

sylviasayers

master brummie
Has anyone access to the records of St. Phillips - I am trying to find the maiden name of my g.g.g. grandmother - mother of John Yates - christened with a sister (twin) ?? Mary on the 18th June 1792 - father James - mother Sarah.

It is possible to search IGI by batch number and first name. A man called Hugh Wallis has set up an index by church and date to the batch numbers. (At https://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~hughwallis/IGIBatchNumbers.htm#Menu )

I think the batch number you need is C041793.

Searching IGI for christenings in 1792 with a first name of Mary and the parents' names gave 3 entries. Just one matches the date:

MARY YATES - International Genealogical Index
Gender: Female Christening: 18 JUN 1792 Saint Phillips, Birmingham, Warwick, England

It seems that Mary's surname at the Christening was Yates. I have notices that several sisters (but not twins) were christened together. Easter Monday 1825 (4th April) was a big christening day and my ancestor Sarah Newey was christened at St Phillips with her sister Maria. I found the records in Birmingham Library - but they don't give the mother's maiden name, just the names, the birthday and the father's occupation when the baby was born.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Shabra for your reply, I have got this information, but can't find the maiden name of Sarah, and I do know of Hugh Wallis' site, which is very good. I also know it was quite common to christen more than one child at a time, one of my lines have 3 children all christened on 8th January 1855, one of them my great grandmother, who would have been 4 years old.

There is a James Yates marrying a Sarah QUICK on 03 JAN 1790 in St Martin's, Birmingham, Warwick, England.

It is a possibility for you.

Thanks Dib, but my James and Sarah Yates, christened their first child Ann on 22nd November 1773 so I guess their marriage would have been about 1772/73. BTW all 7 children were christened at St. Phillips.

There is a James Yeats marrying a Sarah Blood

21 FEB 1773 Aston Juxta Birmingham, Warwick, England

A distinct possibility then : - )

Dib, thanks for your look up, I think Sarah Blood is a distinct possibility, I have just looked in my files and I printed this off IGI in 2003 believe it or not. I noted Sarah was christened lst January 1752, Leigh, Stafford. Parents Aaren and Mary, and another Sarah Blood c. 2nd June 1754 Checkley, Stafford. Like all family researchers, I obviously got sidetracked, and have only this week had another look at the Yates.

I do not know if this will help you with your research at all but, one of the witnesses at the marriage of John Yeats & Sarah Blood was one JOHN MILLS, the next marriage on the page (same day) JOHN MILLS married one ELIZABETH BAKER, one the witnesses to that marriage was JOHN DUGAMORE, I do not know if any of those names rings a bell in your research at all?

The other witness to both marriages was a Richard Freeman who appears to be a witness at a lot of other weddings at the church, so I presume some sort of professional/church employee.

Dibs, once again thanks for your help, I haven't come across the names of John Mills and Elizabeth Baker or John Dugamore, but have noted them in my files. Have you access to the parish records where you may have found this information? if so did it give any ages or details of the parents of James Yeates (Yates) and Sarah Blood, or their occupations?

Apologies for tardy response, I do go into Birmingham Archives occasionally, but alas there will be no further information on this pre 1837 marriage cert, only bride and grooms names, no ages, and no address, just "Of this parish"
and two witnesses, sorry I cannot help further.

Dibs, I do appreciate the help you have already given me. I will try other avenues, i.e. looking for the christenings of their children to see if the mother's maiden name is recorded.

Hi,
Can anyone look up marriage between John Gilbert and Sarah Pritchet please. I know there probably wont be much info, but is there any??

19 DEC 1738Saint Phillips, Birmingham, Warwick, England

Hello Mand, these records are only available at Birmingham Central Library.

ok. thanks Wendy. i'll put it on my ist of things to do at the library!:)

Birth & death records

https://www.ancestry.co.uk

This is quite an amazing site, you need a membership about £10 per month, cheaper for ayear pro rata..

You an look up births deaths marriages, even have a selection of Bham phone directories.

BUT BE WARNED if you take out a months membership, read the terms very carefully--because IF YOU do not cancel it they keep taking the money out of your account--other than that they are a world wide reputable company

Is this possible and if so can anyone help with the fathers name for
birth of:
John Winkle Fellows bn 22nd April 1783

Try this Sparky

IGI Individual RecordFamilySearch™ International Genealogical Index v5.0 British IslesSearch Results | Download
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
JOHN-WINKLE FELLOWSPedigree Male
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
Event(s):
spacer.gif
Birth:
spacer.gif
Christening: 22 APR 1783 Saint Phillips, Birmingham, Warwick, England
spacer.gif
Death:
spacer.gif
Burial:
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
Parents: Father: PETER FELLOWS Family Mother: ANN
spacer.gif
spacer.gif

Can someone tell me where this church is/was please. And are there any records in exsistence.
Thank you,
Sheri

Sheri

Can you give us some idea as to the district of the Church and what time span we are looking at.

Regards

Sheri don't know if this is the one.

Attachments

• City Colmore Row Birmingham Cathedral St Phillips.jpg
    City Colmore Row Birmingham Cathedral St Phillips.jpg
    144.7 KB · Views: 7
Sheri,

Alf's splendid picture is St Phillip's Church, now St Phillip's Cathedral, in Colmore Row, Birmingham. I've had a quick scan through my records and can't find any other church dedicated to St Phillip in Birmingham.

Big Gee

sheri.....If it is St. Phillip's Cathedral, Birmingham it is a couple of minutes walk away from Chamberlain Square and the Town Hall.

All the best.....Florence :)

There is or was a St Phillip and James Church Hodge Hill not built until 1964, the records for both the Cathedral and The Hodge Hill church are in Birmingham's central library:)

Hi all, Thank you so much for the information - I did wonder if it was the Cathedral. If the records, ie birth/marriage records are at the central Library are they accessable on line??? Thanks again,
Sheri

Unfortunately there are not BMD church records on line. You can use the IGI, Familysearch.org and freeBMd to find ancestors BMD's. If you are just starting then at the beginning of this section under Help Advice Tips and Tricks, is a very helpful piece written by one of our members, Aid/advice For Beginners, it will set you on your way to your ancestors

Last edited:
Hi Di.Poppitt, Thank you for your reply and help. I've got a lot of information but what I'm looking at is the 1700's before the census's of course. I think I shall have to make a trip to Birmingham and go to the library. I've been on family search but can't tie up the names because they all have common names. Anyway will carrry on. Thanks again.
Sheri.

can anyone trace Elijah sleigh at St Phillips, born approx 1796; may be shown as Sley?

Event(s): ELIJAH SLEY
Christening: 23 FEB 1795 Saint Phillips, Birmingham, Warwick, England
Parents:
Father: ISAAC SLEY Mother: MARY

There is a possibility of a brother William Sleigh Christening: 11 JUL 1785 Saint Phillips, Birmingham, Warwick, England

There is a possibility of a sister Elizabeth Sleigh Christening: 09 JUN 1800 Saint Martin, Birmingham, Warwick, England

Both father Issac and mother Mary.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi,Can anyone do me a marriage look up please at St Phillips for

Joseph Reddall and Maria in 1839

If possible Joseph`s age when he married and any Witnesses.

I found a possible Joseph on the 1841 Census born 1801 but he is down as
a Josh but i think that might be wrong.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thankyou
Carol

Back