• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

St Phillips Church Cathedral

When I've looked at the North Prospect drawing before, I've wondered if there's a funeral taking place in the churchyard as there seems to be a procession moving towards two gravediggers(?) and a cleric (?). Or is it my imagination ? Viv.

When I've looked at the North Prospect drawing before, I've wondered if there's a funeral taking place in the churchyard as there seems to be a procession moving towards two gravediggers(?) and a cleric (?). Or is it my imagination ? Viv.

It does look like you say Vivienne

Apparently the burial ground of St Philip's was reduced in size during the 18th. century for the construction of roads around it covering earlier burials.

According to Terry slater's book on St Phillips, in 1781 " a few feet of ground from the churchyard..in Temple row" were taken, allowing construction of a footpath outside the churchyard and between the road and the churchyard. But in the same year an old paln of 1853 was reinstituted to take into the churchyard Batchellors Walk , on the north side. The main reason given is the necessity to hav espace for more graves, but also mentioned was that the Walk " continues to be used for jocular purposes" . Heaven help you if you enjoyed yourself as far as the church was concerned.

Not heard of Batchellor's Walk before. Would this effectively be within the churchyard grounds today ? Viv.

From what I understand from the book it would be inside the grounds alongside Colmore Row

Removing the Burne-Jones windows at the beginning of WW2. Viv.

image.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    18.3 KB · Views: 8
thanks viv and what a good job those windows were removed for safety...nice bit of forward thinking..if they had not have done that chances are we wouldnt have them now

lyn

The removal and boarding up of ancient windows took place over much of the country, even in rural towns, particularly where airfields, military, naval or places of strategic importance existed. Many were of mediaeval origin. Interestingly work was done or continued during WW2 in some large abbeys, churches and other buildings, in order that the skills of those artisans familiar with cosmati floors, (egg) tempera paintings and other highly skilled crafts, was not lost. After all it seemed unlikely that such people - unless they wished to do so - would be of great service doing other war work. Even whilst the war raged, once the bombing had abated, those in officialdom were making plans for a post-war future. For instance, much of post war Birmingham planning was done in mid to late WW2.
Incidentally, whilst Coventry Cathedral was destroyed by bombing nearby Lichfield was not. The Luftwaffe used Lichfield as a marker due to unusual spires. Ancient churches, usually aligned east/west, were - and presumably still are - great for compass bearings by aviators.

Suffragettes 1914...

“St Philip’s Cathedral in the city centre was attacked the following month: slogans condemning forcible feeding were daubed throughout, including on the Edward Burne-Jones stained glass.”

Open to question whether this was worse than the burning down of Northfield library, as the windows could be cleaned

I believe that Sir Philip Burne-Jones was the son of Edward, and in 1914 he had this to say concerning suffragettes. It could give an indication as to why the windows were a target.

6F3DD74A-206B-4724-9D09-1CF4100E9D5F.jpeg

We've seen a similar image on here of the removal of railings surrounding the churchyard in WW2. But this press photo mentions two drinking fountains - we know of the one, existing 'Angel' drinking fountain, but where was the other? They were on either side of the churchyard, so was the other on Colmore Row ? It also suggests a possible new 'arrangement' of the churchyard in the future. Did this happen ? Viv.

image.jpeg

Viv
The other drinking fountain was on the right of the Colmore Row entrance to St Philips Place where the original Bluecoat School was, as indicated on this map. I'm looking for a photo with an image, but no luck so far.

drinking fountains.JPG

Thanks Phil. I don't remember ever seeing it, well at least not from the 1970s/80s. And I've never noticed drinking fountains ('D. Fn') marked on a map before. Viv.

This is a very poor photo, on which that I think you can just make out the location of the other fountain. I don't ever remember seeing a drinking fountain at this location either, perhaps unlike the other it was never replaced after the war.

City Colmore Row.JPG

That photo look rather before the new road system came into operation at there is tram track and overhead visible in the foreground.

Back