• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

St Peter's Chapel St Peter's Place

St Peter's Chapel, St Peter's Place

I have just obtained a marriage cert for relatives married in 1856, and they were married in St Peter's Chapel, St Peter's Place. Can anyone tell me which church this is, as I know there are several Peter's.
They were Irish, and as such RC, so hope that should help.

Wes
It was part of St Peters Rc school

Welcome Spitfire I went to the school also I was Baptised there and served mass there . Miss Clements(Headmistress) Mrs McKyntyre(Deputy) Mr Gunn teacher Mrs Harrison teacher Mr Padden teacher to name but five good old days, Even with the smell of stale smoke and beer from the clubroom by the kitchen
Brings back memories , all my old teachers

Re: St Peter's Chapel, St Peter's Place

Wes St Peters church was in St Peters Place just off Broad St the church was built in the reformation it was built with a small spire as to look like a factory as not to raise suspicion

My Parents were married there and my first son was also christened there and we all went to St Peter's school,the I C C now stands directly on its site:)Mossy
Absolutely right, just off Broad Street opposite Gaa St.

This simple drawing of the Chapel by L W Clarke was made in 1842. It was built in 1786, but by the time of the drawing it had already been extended twice, once in 1802 and again in 1825.

Screenshot_20230824_183822_Chrome.jpg

Phyllis Nicklin captured the building (along with the adjoining house) in 1967, showing further modifications had been made to the Chapel after Clarke's drawing including additional windows and changes to the entrance.

Screenshot_20231024_082418_Chrome.jpgScreenshot_20231024_082807_Google.jpgScreenshot_20231024_082743_Google.jpg
The intterior at the start of demolition in 1969. The remains buried in the graveyard were reinterred at Oscott RC cemetery, Sutton Coldfield before building work commenced on the Convention Centre.
Screenshot_20231024_082900_Chrome.jpgScreenshot_20231024_082921_Chrome.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231024_082330_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20231024_082330_Chrome.jpg
    530.7 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Back