• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

St Peter's Chapel St Peter's Place

Jill

master brummie
Would anyone happen to have a photo of this chapel please? It's been demolished now I believe. Thanks in advance for any help.

This is St Peters Place, but unfortunately the church is either demolished or out of the picture to the right. O0

Attachments

• City Broad St St Peters Place (1).jpg
    City Broad St St Peters Place (1).jpg
    143.7 KB · Views: 42
Jill. My wifes Gt Grandparents were married in St Peters Chapel in 1857, they were named Lehaney. I did once find a web-site that had a photo of the interior (or it may have been an architects drawing) but I'm blowed if I can find it now. If I can find it, I will repost.

there are 2 photos of St Peters church page26 and 27 in norman bartlams book broad street isbn0-7509-2874-3

Thanks for the picture Postie. I recognise this place from when I last visited Brum but didn't realise it was the possible site of St. Peter's. Barrie - my gx2 grandparents were married here too which is why I would like a picture. Kenh - I'll look for this book next time I'm in town or perhaps order it. Many thanks to you all.

Jill, I was looking for some other picture and came across this one of St Peters Place. O0

Attachments

• City Three Horse Shoes St Peters Place 1935  .jpg
    City Three Horse Shoes St Peters Place 1935 .jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 45
This one shows the chapel a bit better. O0

Attachments

• City Broad St St Peters Place.jpg
    City Broad St St Peters Place.jpg
    177.7 KB · Views: 39
Hi Jill

Hopefully with this message will be a photo of the altar at St Peter's but not haven't had much luck with downloading pics so far. Fingers crossed! :crazy2:

ChrisB

Attachments

• City St Peters Place Sr Peters Interior.jpg
    City St Peters Place Sr Peters Interior.jpg
    135.3 KB · Views: 50
:eek: It worked! I used to have a picture of St Peter's from the outside but can't find it now. Will check my disks and if I can find it I'll send it to you.

ChrisB

Harborne and John. Thank you so much for those photo's. My wifes Gt Grandparents got married there, she is over the moon.

barrie.

:angel: in the picture of #7 there are two churches, a small part of one on the left of the pic' and another down the right hand street. If the one down the street is St Peter's, could someone tell me what the other one is please?

Chris :angel:

St Peters place to the right and St Martins place to the left so I would say St Martins and this why they must say St martin's in the Bull Ring to differ between the two
will try and confirm as it's only an educated guess

St Peters place is to the left and St Martins Place to the right as John said but if you look straight down St Martins Place it is in a direct line with the Jewellery Quarter and the church at Warstone lane draw a line down St Peters Place and it will go through St Marks ( this is on a 1883 map )

:angel: Wanted to know if it was by any chance St Marks as that was where my Granny (Nee Deakin) first married Arthur Wood.

Chris, I think the other church you mention is the Church of the Messiah in Broad St :-\

Harborne and John. These are great - thank you so much. I remember it now I've seen it - it's funny how I couldn't remember it before. Old age I 'spect!

Does St Peter's still exist? If so what is it's function now, believe it is no longer a church...?

Back