• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

St Pauls Church St Pauls Square

Dolphie

master brummie
I've just returned from dear old Brum & while down there went to visit this church in St Pauls Square. We went over to find it was open between 12 & 2pm & when we went in there was a lovely man inside who gave us a tour around. It was fabulous inside & I took a fair few photos...hope you dont mind me posting a couple.:)

Attachments

• 348s[1].jpg
    348s[1].jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 26
  • stpaulint[1].jpg
    stpaulint[1].jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 25
  • St_Paul_Birmingham_from_south_PP[1].jpg
    St_Paul_Birmingham_from_south_PP[1].jpg
    143.8 KB · Views: 24
Great pics dolphie, my Gt Gt grandparents were married in this church, so it's nice for me to see them, I'll be taking a copy if you don't mind, Claire :)

Re: St Paul's Church

It is a beautiful church we went inside a few years ago. We were invited in by the verger, it was lovely as the church was decorated for a wedding with flowers at the end of every pew. The window really took my breath away as the sun was shining through it. I didn't realise it was painted. We also asked why there were only stained glass windows on one side of the church. The verger explained the windows were blown out in the second World War. They couldn't afford to replace them so decided to repair what they could on one side and put plain glass in the other. The Rev Doug Wilks is the vicar now and he is on the committee of 'The Friends of Key Hill Cemetery. The last time I went to St Paul's was to see Carl Chinn do a talk to raise funds for the cemetery. It was a lovely evening.

Please help yourself Claire, thats why I posted them in case people wanted to see/use them. The painted window is fabulous isn't it Wendy, the colours are so rich & atmospheric (what a pity I didnt think to take a snap of it!! doh). I've got some other general photos of it from outside...I'll try posting those too later on.:)

hi folks...i am looking for any old black and white photos of st paul square and st pauls church in the jewellery quarter....any help on this would be great..

many thanks

lyn

Lyn

Will these do for a start?

Attachments

• Hockley St Pauls Square St Pauls Tavern.jpg
    Hockley St Pauls Square St Pauls Tavern.jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 74
  • City St Pauls Square Pitt &  Swatkins.jpg
    City St Pauls Square Pitt & Swatkins.jpg
    182.9 KB · Views: 80
  • City St Pauls Square St Pauls Church.JPG
    City St Pauls Square St Pauls Church.JPG
    123.6 KB · Views: 67
  • City St Pauls Square.JPG
    City St Pauls Square.JPG
    203.9 KB · Views: 66
  • City St Pauls Square 1941.jpg
    City St Pauls Square 1941.jpg
    217.7 KB · Views: 78
Are you looking for anything in particular Lyn?

no mike just any of the square and church before it was all spruced up...

phil thats a great start thank you...i need to choose a few that can be framed so please keep them coming..

mike it is poss to have a map of the square please showing where st pauls tavern was...or maybe its still there??

lyn

Lyn

Sorry but I think there is another error here with a wrongly named photo, the St Pauls Tavern was actually at the bottom of Ludgate Hill and is now an Italian restaurant now if I've got my bearings right.

Lyn

I think this is the last of what I can come up with

Attachments

• City St Pauls.jpg
    City St Pauls.jpg
    157.5 KB · Views: 48
  • Hockley St Pauls .jpg
    Hockley St Pauls .jpg
    218.1 KB · Views: 66
  • St Pauls Church.jpg
    St Pauls Church.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 51
  • St Pauls.jpg
    St Pauls.jpg
    355.1 KB · Views: 48
thanks phil those are great...love the overhead shot...will go and look at that link now..

lyn

Lyn
Do you still want the map of St Pauls Square as the pub isn't there?

yes please mike...could you also mark out on the map where the midland ropery was please as shown on one of phils photos...looks to be on a corner and that building may still be there...many thanks mike

Last edited:
Here you are Lyn. A map c 1889. Also, in case they are of interest, two I took in the early 1970s. They were colour but have made them B & W as that is what you wanted.

map_c1889A_st_Pauls_Square_showing_Ropery_at_no_35.jpg

21__St_Pauls_SquareC.jpg

20__St_Pauls_SquarC.jpg

thanks for the map mike and the photos are great...mike looking at the map would you say that the warehouse building next to the rolling mills are numbers 15 to 20 ?? just trying to pin down where the rope walk restaurant now is and maybe find an old pic of the building which i think could be visible on phils overhead pic..actually mike looking at phil pic 2 on post 3 i am wondering if nos 15 to 20 used to be pitt and swatkins which is now the rope works restaurant...
thank you mike

lyn

Last edited:
City%20St%20Pauls%20Square%201941.jpgtotally confused now mike...just been talking to someone who says that the rope walk restaurant at 15 to 20 st pauls square used to be a rope factory but the rope factory in this pic was as you have marked out on the map is at no 35 on the corner with caroline st i think..i will check kellys later on to see what nos 15 to 20 st pauls square used to be...either there were 2 rope factories or the rope walk restaurant was so named because it was close to the rope factory at no 35

lyn

lyn

Last edited:
Lyn

Yes the building that is now "The Rope Walk" at one time was a rope manufacturer, when it was owned by G.F.Mewis Rope Manufacturer. I don't think Pitt & Swatkins made rope as they were Die Sinkers. The building has had many uses over the years and at one time was even used as the Spanish & Portuguese Consulates.

morning phil..my problem is that the building in your pic was on the corner of caroline st and st pauls square at no 35 as in mikes map and the rope walk restaurant is on the other side of the square at nos 15 to 20...i need to try and sort this one out...

thank phil

Back