• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

St Matthews school, Duddeston (Nechells) Newbie!

Ger22Van MY dad was Michael Mann his sister Alice,Maud,Betty(elizabeth) brothers Alfred,Edward all went to St Matthews and so did some of the other members of my family the Copesticks.

Ger22Van MY dad was Michael Mann his sister Alice,Maud,Betty(elizabeth) brothers Alfred,Edward all went to St Matthews and so did some of the other members of my family the Copesticks.
Hi Pam the wife is saying she was at school with Jean Copestick and I remember peter Copestick, The Copesticks was a large family in our area. Regards Bill.. off on hols Sat. speak soon.

peter copestick was a very good friend of mine, I hear he lost his wife quite young, I often wonder what happened to him.

peter copestick was a very good friend of mine, I hear he lost his wife quite young, I often wonder what happened to him.
Hi Vauxhall Lass,

would that bring you to know Keith pearson or Tracy Pearson or maybe people from St mathews school , we lived in Revesby walk for 17 years and used the E.B.CC ? or could it have been Eliot street school ? things are now not so clear to me, there is a strong pull to Nechells with Peter. Bill..

I don't mean to be rude here... however do any of you 'Older' members from St Matt's remember Pauline Silk, if so is she on any of those school photo's ? Her family were very good friends of ours, they were very good to my older brother. Pauline was a few years older than I was and very much a 'Tomboy' her best friend for years till her death at a young age of about 32yrs was Maxine (?), Maxine could also be on those photo's too.

Also could someone point out Elaine Fisher to me on the photo's please, there are two girls that I think may be her, but not sure which one.

Chris/Pom

Last edited:
Pomgolian Tell me if I have overlooked anything but I cannot see a photograph of Saint Matthews School ( Lupin Street ) Pauline would have been about the same age as myself and I cannot remember her at school.
The school photographs at my time were taken as individual photographs and as much as I would like to have seen one with pauline on ,I don't think one exists. I do imagine she went to Linguard Street girls school.

Hi again,

You was in school the same time as Audrey the wife, she worked for Harbournes the news agent in Reversby Walk and the one in Great Lister street. Keith my son and Tracy the daughter both did Duddy must know you, was Kenny Jefferies a relative ? me and Ray Smith did the local disco called touch of class. would Paul Gebhard ring a bell, John and Fred Robinson? we all used the E.B.C.C. also Bunny Mann, and Brian Mann, regards Bill...
Paul Gebhard used to be a member of the site I think he lives in Sutton.

Pomgolian. I have studied all three photographs and they appear to be after my time there, I cannot recognise any of the teachers on there and I think they may at least be about 16 years or more after I was there.
Just checked that fourth photograph and still no luck.

hi st matts was my first school in 1949 i remember the teacher was miss williams she tamed me lol i kicked and screamed the place down does any one remember val and pamela ballard also my aunt and uncle lived in godwin st rene and dickie turner dickie was very young whe n he died suddenly

Hello Elvis there,s quite a few of us on this forum that come from this area have a look at the Gosta Green and Duddeston thread there lots of imfo on there.Where abouts in Nechells are you from i,m from the Vauxhall Rd end but i do remember the school. Dek

hi dek pushed from pillar to post lol heanage st then godwin st then stuart st do you knoe em
dave

Elvis. I lived in Coleman Street went to Saint Matthews school and then lived in Heneage Street when I went to Loxton Street.

Back