• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

St Mark's Ladywood Lookups

Hi nod grow
Yes st marks church was in st marks street Ladywood and st marks street was decided between king Edwards road lady wood
To us local lads and brought up in Ladywood as more so on kingedwards road I lived about 400 yards from the church
And also kingedwards road was also in to parts
We call the big end of kingedwards road and small kingedwards red which dived by monument road
The church was in little st marks street and the corner of kingedwards road
As I said kingedwards road decided the two sides of st marks street on the left of the kingedwards was the little st marks street
And on the right of kingedwards road was the big end of st marks street and there was an horse drinking trough there
Slap bang in the middle of st marks street as you crossed over to it and it was a very long street with big family's
On the left of the st marks street as you cross over was a butchers shop and wrights laundry with steam bellowing out like wild fire
And behind them there was the chat wins and Hopkins and the weatlly and the Ellis,s and Jones family
I could name most of the street but it would take to long oh I have to me tion the notorious gang
Whom every body was scared of was the alley cats as they called themselves all with leather jackets
All from st marks street the big one
Getting back to the church there was a family living directly opersite called the Dunckleys family whom was old friends of mine
When they knocked down the church I think it was around 1957/8 and built a ware house called Lees when they moved out a firm called Decco
Paint and wall paper etc, and later changed to a fancy goods and hardware cash and carry open to the public
I got a job there as security officer combined with the ware housing duties
As our friend as said no grow look on the nett you will a picture of the church and a picture of the corner shops along with dunkies old house
When they demoed them Victorian house the dunks went to Aberdeen street Winson green
Little st marks street brought you on summer hill at the of the street and you would have come to old senior bill langfords old
Orininal shop and faceting was dysons the undertakers and you could see them making the coffins a d area doors from there was the midwifes home
You can log onto Aston manner site or Ladywood site or the inter net you will get loads of pics and info of Ladywood site
And of monument road old Mr clews bike shop and the news agents on the opersite cornet to him
Which is the cornet of king Edwards red and on the same shots you will get a picture of the house I lived in at 243 kingedwards red
And also oppersite our house is a
Picture of Kirby's family first mod lorry parked out side there yard after leaving farm street
Best wishes Astonian,,,,,,,

Back